Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Older, Not Much Bolder, And It's Getting Colder


You know you're old when......

You are shopping at a department store looking at clothes on clearance and you're "fighting" for rack time with Blue-Hair and Moth-Ball Lady.

Your cute new top for yoga class comes in the mail and you have to put on your glasses to figure out how to get the thing on, wrestle with it a bit, and then you can't reach the bow in the back without taking it off.

Sheesh.

Don't you hate it when...

Retailers post signs with sale pricing that starts next week asking you to reserve your items now?

Huh?  It wasn't exactly lay-away but a way to get you back in the store next week.  OK.  That's just plain wrong, folks.  As I get older, my tolerance for goofy marketing techniques is fading fast.

**Waves wand**  Riddikulus!

Recently, Hubby and I sat in a car for nine hours and drove to New Mexico to see the mountains.  They all had dandruff so we made our way to a local day resort for a little skiing.  I love this view from the top:

 Albuquerque down below

While I was snapping the photo, Evil Twin was checking the stability of the fence.

Never a dull moment.

Hubby's great-aunt passed away recently.  She was older than dirt with a poor quality of life.  Although it's sad to know she is no long with us, she has been "gone" awhile.  On the humorous side, what I remember about her is Hubby's story about how she used to cut the Nieman's labels out of her children/grandchildren's clothes and sewing them into clothes she bought at Target or Sears for her nieces and nephews.  

Snort.

We are expecting a cold snap down here, just when I'm getting used to 60 degree days without the need to wear six layers to keep warm.    I've searched my closets for the warmest item I can find and here it is:

Warm?  Yes, but that color is a bit hard on the eyes.  Maybe it's time to do some culling.

Speaking of culling, I've been doing some heavy cleaning in my catch-all room.  I now know where Evil Twin has been some hiding things. I did manage to uncover my Pachinko.  Here's a list of the items I cannot locate, though:

Fluffy handcuffs
Samurai sword
Collection of fingernail clippings
Filet knife
Box with alien artifacts



Kidding.  Kidding.  I found them.

Sigh.  I'm so relieved.

All photos snapped by Reffie.  The pachinko remained silent.  I have no balls.  Hee Hee.

33 comments:

Mama-Face said...

Have you tried buying cute yoga tops with other old ladies? Maybe they could teach you how work them things.


Oh Fair New Mexico. BEAUTIFUL photo.

Your Hub's great aunt was a wise woman... the label idea is genius. The thing is I find nothing wrong with a Target label here and there. ha. I know that's not the point.

:)

Belle said...

I love the pachinko! I've always wanted to see New Mexico. Glad you enjoyed it.

Leeuna said...

What a breathtaking view. Glad you had fun. I need to get busy with some culling myself. My office looks like a hoarder lives here.

MrsBlogAlot said...

I was wondering where I left my fluffy handcuffs!

Glad you fessed up. I would have blamed Evil Twin for sure!

(-:

United Studies said...

Hahaha....the story of your husband's great aunt made me laugh. But I really hope the receiving people could tell the difference between Neiman's clothing and Target clothing.

Anonymous said...

Hee hee. I'm so relieved you found that box of fingernails. Whew!

And I need to start doing the opposite of your late great aunt. Sew Neiman's tag onto Target clothing!

Oh yeah!

*grin*

ReformingGeek said...

@mamma-face - Um, I don't need anymore wrestling at the racks.

@Belle - Thanks!

@Leenua - YIKES! No hoarding!

@MrsBlogalt - Shhhh.

@Jacki - Oh yeah, they knew.

@Quirky - Yeah, those fingernails might come in handy one of these days.

00dozo said...

There is a special clothing requirement for yoga?? Egad! I guess one would need yoga just to relieve the frustration of getting into its outfits.
;-)

Madge said...

You aren't going to find the fingernail clippings. ET mailed them to me last week and on the envelope it said "Free Samples" I was so excited until I opened it and found what was inside.

PS Thanks for following over at my place :)

ReformingGeek said...

@00dozo - As long as the top covers and allows movement, I'm good.

@Madge - Hum....Maybe you will have better luck with cloning than she did.

Ziva said...

Ohh, that's a pretty blue. I bet they shine in the dark.

Jean Knee said...

we had a day of sun and warmth. I freakin had jury duty. Stayed from 8:45 untill 4:00 and wasn't even picked.

asswipes

how was your day?

Unknown said...

If reference to the box of alien artifacts, do you mean fake passports or little green overcoats? Sounds like Smithsonian material. Great find!

ReformingGeek said...

@Ziva - I think they may be radioactive!

@Jean - Yeah, what a time-waster. My day is cold, thanks!

@Lauren - Alien technology that I'm still trying to figure out. ;-)

Deb said...

"Whooooooomp!" Whooooooooooooommmmmp!"

Did you feel that? I threw two snowballs at you for griping about 60 degree weather, you wuss.

It's 15 degrees here with below 0 temps coming Sunday, after the 10" of snow predicted for tomorrow.

What the hell kind of pants are those? Hell, we're still wearing shorts up here in Maine!

(stop laughing at my blue legs).

Anonymous said...

Hi- RG. Long time since I've been around. I feel you're pain in the aging department. It hurts me to watch yoga anymore. If you can see Albuquerque, I'm assuming that isn't Taos. :) Those pants... does that color exist ANYWHERE in nature? Wow.

Unfinished Rambler said...

Fluffy handcuffs? That doesn't sound like they'd be very good for...well...extracurricular activities...but hey, whatever turns you on. ;)

ReformingGeek said...

@Deb - I LOVE 60 degrees for winter. I'm griping because it's now 30! You Mainahs are just crazy. You guys would go for a swim if it was 60. I'm sending you those long johns. to cover up your blue legs.

@Jamie - Howdy there! It was Sandia Peak. I think Hubby has a ball cap the same color. Ugh.

@Unfinished - I think you sent them to me. ;-)

honeypiehorse said...

OK I'm all over that label switching idea!

The Constant Complainer said...

RG, just FYI, you might want to check some of the web ads you have on this page. My anti-malware freaks out every time I come here and keeps saying that one of the ads contains spyware.

The Constant Complainer said...

I enjoyed the picture of the mountains. And here's one for you. I knew I was old when my old "clubbing" shirt came back into style. LOL.

Lindsey Buck said...

Psh, you are not that old. I distinctly see a Harry Potter reference in there. Age does not matter, you are obviously still a kid at heart - as is anyone who still is in the Potter clan. :)

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

I'm so jealous of your Pachinko machine! And your fluffy handcuffs! And your box with alien artifacts!

The fingernail collection, not so much.

ReformingGeek said...

@honeypie - Let me know how it works out.

@Constant - Hum....First I've heard of this issue. I don't run ads on this blog so I would have no idea where the ads are coming from and I have not heard from anyone else experiencing a problem.

@Lindzena - Yep. I'm definitely a kid at heart.

@Mike - What? I thought everyone had a fingernail collection. ;-)

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

OMG, can I TELL you how many times I have put my sports bra on backwards because I can't see the label anymore? Your yoga top line was HILARIOUS!

This picture you took of New Mexico is amazing! I say, put on your bright warm pants and go on a hike! If you get lost, they'll be SURE to find you!!

G.~ said...

I can relate to both of those shopping experiences. I have no tolerance for luring tactics.

That picture of the mountains is beautiful. I've never been snow skiing, I can't stand the cold. I hibernate in the winter. Seriously. If I don't absolutely have to go outside, I don't.

And last but least, love the Pachinko. Me and my cousin used to play it all the time when we were little.

Suzanne said...

You know 60 degrees would be a heat wave over her in Ohio right? You're killing me Carol.

ReformingGeek said...

@Joan - Those pants would fit in well in New Mexico! I had to send the yoga top back. It just didn't speak to me.

@G.~ - I played a lot as a kid, too! It was loads of fun.

@Sue - Come on down, Sue.

Sandra said...

Oh don't be ashamed! Wear the fluffy blue pyjama bottoms. Start a trend. And be warm. It's win win!

Pearl said...

Very funny!

Sorry to hear that your pachinko has no balls. :-)

Pearl

Diane J. said...

I refuse to admit I'm getting old. It's just people don't know how to make things anymore. ;)

Love pachinko! I used to have a little pachinko game.

ReformingGeek said...

@Sandra - I may have to pack them away. It was 60 degrees today.

@Pearl - Yes, if you see my marbles, send them back to me.

@Diane - Yes. Nothing lasts like it used to!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Good. Now that you've cleaned things out, you'll have room for all the crap I'm sending you... because I like you.


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"