Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Virtual Tour Day 2: Cowtown Classics

Welcome to Day 2 of our tour of Cowtown (Fort Worth), Texas, one of the stops on the Humor Bloggers Dot Com Virtual Road Trip. If you want to see where we've been and where we're going, click here.

Let's get the show started.

GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM!

Oh wait. Wrong movie. Sorry about that.

It's time to RISE and SHINE. I've made breakfast:

Photo: some email

Oh, wait. That's not right. Wrong meal.

THIS is breakfast:

Photo: ReformingGeek. Yum!

Since you guys are special and this is a special occasion, I've made my famous breakfast burritos (bacon, egg, and cheese), with some salsa of course! This is usually a "weekends only" breakfast so you should feel honored.


Since I was kind enough to make you breakfast, here's a rake. Remember that mess out back from yesterday? Please rake it up in nice neat piles and get it done quickly. We've got a busy day ahead.

Fast forward 30 minutes.

WOW! You guys did great. Thanks so much for helping out.

Now, let's get going. We are going to visit the Fort Worth Zoo this morning. Please be careful. I know you guys are funny but the animals might not think so. Keep your hands to yourself and don't make silly faces, OK? Also, please DO NOT dispose of misbehaving children in the lion's den.

Photo: zyada on flickr.com

Photo: zyada on flickr.com

Wasn't that fun? I do apologize for that zebra. How rude. And those elephants must have thought you needed to cool off.

You're probably getting as hungry as some of those critters. I know I am.

Lunch today will be some good ole southern cooking. We're having chicken fried steak, white gravy, a couple of side dishes and some banana pudding for dessert. Hubby recommends Massey's, a little hole-in-the-wall place south of downtown, a couple of miles from the zoo. It's been around forever. Believe it or not, I've NEVER been there and I've been around forever.

Now that our arteries are clogged, let's take a walk around the Fort Worth Botanical Garden.

Photo: Miss Shari on flickr.com

I'm so glad we've got a few minutes to walk round the various gardens with all the pretty spring blooms. It's been way too long since I've been here.

Next up is a little culture, quickly browsing one of several museums in the "museum district". Let's do a whirlwind tour of the Kimbell Art Museum.

WHEW! That was tough and I like art. HEY! WAKE UP out there.

We're moving again. We don't have Princeton, but we do have Texas Christian University (TCU). We've got time for a quick tour of TCU, home of the purple horned frogs. Oh, wait. That can't be right, can it? I know that they are really into purple and they are the Horned Frogs. Go figure.

Photo: Wikipedia
Photo: ChrisMPowell, flickr.com


They are offering a wine-tasting event this afternoon. We are joining them and will probably be a little wobbly afterwards. We'll need to catch the bus to dinner. I hope you're hungry.

For a nice send-off, I'm taking you to a fun place in the heart of downtown Fort Worth. It used to be on the top floor of the tall building in this photo:

Photo: some photo airline operating back in 2000

Yes, those buildings are damaged. After the tornado in March of 2000, they rebuilt the restaurant, Reata, here (notice the nice rooftop!):

Photo: members.virtualtours.com


The inside is tastefully (that may be debatable) furnished with western decor. We wouldn't want you to forget where you are, right? Let's start with an order of calf-fries. Don't worry. I'll also order some steaks and plenty of beer to help you eat the calf-fries. You DO know what they are, don't you?


Those two days went by fast. It's time for me to drop you at the airport for your flight to Phoenix, AZ to visit MadMadMargo! Thank you for stopping in for a big Texas Howdy! **HUGS**


Have a good flight!

Flickr photos: flickr.com photos used by permission of photographer (zyada is my SIL and she takes great pictures!) or via Creative Commons licensing (see sidebar).

31 comments:

nonamedufus said...

There must be lots of large folks in Cowtown 'cause all you guys seem to do is EAT! If I lived there I'd be at least 400 pounds. Mmm, Mmm, good.

Hit 40 said...

The garden looks beautiful! I am always a sucker to check out the local botanical garden.

SplitRock Dozer said...

Can I have an order of desert tacos from Reata? Please? They're my favorite!

ReformingGeek said...

@nonamedufus - Well....yeah....we DO like our food around here!

@Hit 40 - I'm ashamed that it's been so long since I've been there.

@SpitRock - Absolutely. You raked the biggest pile.

Bee said...

My sister's in-laws are from Fort Worth. Maybe I'll go next time she visits them and check out the Botanical Gardens.

Too much cat in the morning makes gassy.

United Studies said...

So are you getting paid to promote Ft. Worth? These past two posts are so much more interesting than reading the typical tourist-y brochures.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you did it, but you outdid yourself on Day 2 of the tour. Congratulations!

Oh, as for a tip for getting rich, I suggest you look into starting a travel guide website for the Fort Worth area. You seem to have a good start here. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Another great job Reffie!

My only concern?

Did you cut off that cat's ears? (Never mind that you are gonna eat him for breakfast.) I'm just concerned about the ears.

That is wrong! I knew they did things "differently" in Texas, but this?

I dunno pardner. I just dunno.

heh heh heh

ReformingGeek said...

@Bee - Yes, you should check out the Gardens and the zoo is down the street and Massey's is a few blocks over. Can't go wrong!

@Jacki - Thanks. I wish!

@unfinished - Thank you. Since I've lived in this area all of my life, it's hard for me to think of it as a tourist area, but it really is.

@Quirky - Thanks. I have no shame and I think a zombie must have gotten the little guy's ears.

Anonymous said...

Loved these two Texas posts - thanks for taking me along. Hey I make a killer breakfast burrito, too. I use eggs and cheese, and also chorizo sausage, cilantro, jalapeno peppers, onion and garlic, a little slather of refried beans, and of course topped with salsa. Es muy magnifico!

The Old Silly From Free Spirit Blog

Nooter said...

ive heard of cat-in-the-hat but cat-in-a-microwaveable-cereal-bowl is a new one. just add milk and microwave for 60 seconds ha ha ha!

saaaaay, that burrito plate looks nice. is that your doorbell? i will watch your plate for you while you go see who it is... mmmm...

Ed & Jeanne said...

Excellent. That cat does NOT look happy about being breakfast. The burritos look less furbally anway! Thanks for the tour. I'm slow so now I've got to go read part 1. Of course I read them backwards!

Jean Knee said...

I hear cat tastes just like chicken


not that I ate mine

coyotes did that

ReformingGeek said...

@Marvin - It's your turn to make breakfast.

@Nooter - You should be nice and rescue the kitty.

@VE - Thanks for touring with me. I'll save you a burrito.

@jean - I hear coyotes taste like chicken. Let's find out.

Shawn said...

I dig that fountain outside of TCU.

Nooter said...

"You should be nice and rescue the kitty."

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

ReformingGeek said...

@Shawn - That fountain looks very refreshing in this heat!

@Nooter - Poor kitty. I don't think anybody is going to rescue him.

Da Old Man said...

Great tour. But, calf-fries?

Need more info.

Suzanne said...

Thank you so much for the virtual tour! I had a great time!

Elizabeth said...

OK, I had to google calf fries, I think I'll pass. Have you ever eaten them??

Christina Bledsoe said...

Hi. I saw your link on The Constant Complainers blog roll and decided to check it out. Very nice blog. I will be back to check out more posts.

Nooter said...

the human says thats a bowl of purr-idge

ReformingGeek said...

@Da Old Man - I can't believe you're the only one that asked. Maybe everyone else knows. Hum.....

I'll stop by and let you know.

@Sue - I'm glad you were able to visit!

@Elizabeth - Um....can't say that I have.

@Nooter - That's a purr-fect description!

@Christina - Welcome to the madness.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful city! I even enjoyed the artery clogging lunch.

The Constant Complainer said...

Reforming Geek, I'mmm back. Sorry for being away for a few days. I'm trying desperately to catch up on some of your posts.

What a nice post to come back to by the way. I enjoyed the pictures - especially the skyline one.

Was that a cat in your bowl?

ReformingGeek said...

@dizzblnd - Thanks. Take a nap this afternoon after that big lunch!

@Constant - Yea! Thanks and well that little kitty wanted a warm place to nap so......

Jean Knee said...

you also get a FAIL for Wordless Wednesday

Unknown said...

The one thing I miss the most about the Southwest is the real Mexican food. In NC Mexican food is Taco Bell. I swear that is true.

ReformingGeek said...

@Jean - Um.....I guess it's 20 lashes for me then.

@ettarose - So I've heard. I believe you, Girl.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Glad I found your blog today...a tour with a wine tasting. Lucky me!

Deb said...

Like Etta, there is no 'real' Mexican food here other than some road kill sauteed in salsa. That, among the rest of your wonderful tour, is what made me enjoy my trip to Cowtown immensely! I learned a lot, didn't get sick ('cause no way was I eating those calf-fries) and left with wonderful memories.

Great job!


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"