Monday, June 15, 2009

Virtual Tour Day 1: Cowtown on a Budget!

Welcome! You've just stumbled upon the Humor Bloggers Dot Com Virtual Tour and its stop in Cowtown (Fort Worth), Texas. We just finished stalking brookeamanda up in Illinois and if you want to see where we've been and where we're going, click here! I hope you had a nice, relaxing flight and are well rested.

I know you're probably ready to begin the tour but first, like the classy responsible tourists that we are, we must check our budget.

That's right. Times are tough down here in Cowtown. I've been saving up for a nice pair of roper boots (or maybe a nice pair of boobs will do) but I'm willing to use the money to entertain you. Let me grab Cat and we'll see what we've got:

Photo: ReformingGeek

As you can probably guess, that money won't get me nice pair of anything so I checked with the Fort Worth Stockyards and they are doing a special event today with the cattle. That's right. They could use a few extra hands (pun intended) to shovel.....er....stuff. While we're shoveling, we can enjoy the history behind the Fort Worth Stockyards (thank you Wiki):

The Fort Worth Stockyards now celebrates Fort Worth's long tradition as a part of the cattle industry and was designated as a historical district in 1976. Many bars and nightclubs (including Billy Bob's Texas) are located in the vicinity, and the area has a Western motif. There is also an opry and a rodeo. The Fort Worth Stockyards are the last standing stockyards in the United States. Some Fort Worth volunteers (Hey, that's us, except I got them to pay us) still run the cattle drives today. They do it so that people can see what it was like in the 1800s.

Photo: dchrisoh, flickr.com Creative Commons
Fast forward a few hours and we are incredibly ripe out here in this heat!

After a quick shower with a garden hose, we are headed to lunch. That's right. We will be eating at *Manny's house near the stockyards. This is on the north side of town where many of the "hole in the wall" Tex-Mex restaurants are and the population is mostly Hispanic.


Hubby's great-grandmother (not Hispanic) owned a cafe in this area in the 1930's and we have a family recipe for Spanish Spare Ribs that was one of the most popular dishes on the menu.


Let's get back to Manny. Manny is a friend of Hubby's and his mama cooks up some mean **Tex-Mex (a hybrid of Spanish and native Mexican foods): Enchiladas, Spanish Rice, Refritos (Refried Beans), Tamales, and Sopapillas for dessert.
Photo: kodamakitty, flickr.com Creative Commons

That's enough gas to tank you up pretty dern good. Never fear. If you need to use the facilities, we've got plenty of these around town:

Photo: some email

Just kidding. We've got real bathrooms...somewhere around here I'm sure. Aw, forget it. There's a bush. I'll cover you.


You probably should take one of those pink antacid pills because we are headed to
Six Flags over Texas this afternoon. It's in Arlington about 20 minutes from downtown Cowtown. After a cool down on the log flume ride, we are in line for one of the main attractions: Titan. I hope you like roller coasters. This one's a blast!
Photo: mulf, flickr.com Creative Commons

But wait. There's more. After spilling the contents of our stomach from the roller coaster ride, we are going to sit down for awhile and catch a baseball game. In the picture, it's that red stadium that can be seen from that seriously evil coaster. We will be watching the Texas Rangers play Crotchety's New York Yankees. I think we're going to need lots of beer. The Yankees usually kick our ass.

Also, in the background of the picture is a work-in-progress shot of the new
Cowboys stadium, the new home for the Dallas Cowboys professional football team (just in case you haven't heard of them!) If you've got a spare thousand, you might be able to get a reasonably decent seat.

Do you get the idea that sports are a big thing down here?

You would be right.


OK, the baseball game's over. We actually won! Let's get on the road. You're spending the night at my place tonight. Um, no, not with me. Sorry. There just isn't enough room in the bed and Hubby won't even let the cat sleep with us. I've got plenty of room in the backyard and you can fight over the little shed:

Photo: ReformingGeek

Sorry about the mess in the yard. It's been a stormy week. We'll talk more about that tomorrow. Nighty night. Sleep tight. Tomorrow will be a busy day!



*Not his real name of course!

**Tex-Mex - "Mexican" food with Texas influences such as a heavy chili con carne sauce (spicy beef gravy), lots of melted cheese, beef, and combination plates served with chips and salsa ("hot sauce").


Flickr photos: Creative Commons license (see sidebar)

24 comments:

Hit 40 said...

LOL - If someone does not know what tex mex is then we need to ship them to Mexico!!

You have a lot of concerns over the restrooms in Texas?? Do you think we have rr issues???

United Studies said...

Oh man...that food makes me hungry..I love Tex-Mex. Peter doesn't remember the names of the restaurants he went to. I think he just tried them all and didn't pay attention to the names. :-)

ReformingGeek said...

@Hit 40 - Actually, some of the newer rest areas have nice facilities.

@Jacki - The picture of that Tex-Mex plate doesn't do it justice.

Hit 40 said...

I had to repost today's blog. I had some issues with the pictures not showing!!! My friend and I are a perfectionists....

so I lost your comment. I am very sorry.

Did you catch Missy's blog about a month ago with RR's? Her phone fell in the toilet - it got automatically flushed away!!!! I told my students - they said that they have had ipods and phones automatically flushed before they could grab them LOL!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yum. Now I'm definitely in the mood for Mexican food.

AND I see kitty's paw in the picture. How vain! He couldn't stand the thought of Mommy taking a pic that wasn't a pic of him! So he nonchalantly and strategically placed his white paw into the frame!

Cats!

Heh heh heh

Anonymous said...

Ah - this post SO makes me want to get on a plane and get on over to TX for the BEST Tex Mex on the planet. My brother lives in Dallas and when I visit that's like one of those HAVE to do thangs. Tex Mex here in Michigan is OK, but no banana.

The Old Silly From Free Spirit Blog

Anonymous said...

We have those kind of facilities where we live too, in Pennsyltucky. We also have lots of woods too where you can...uh...let go. ;)

Nooter said...

mmmm... sopapillas...

ReformingGeek said...

@Hit 40 - Oh well. I'll try to stop by again and catch Missy's blog.

@Quirky - Yeah. Dern cat. He's always in the way.

@Marvin - Good Tex-Mex outside of Texas is hard to find.

@unfinished - Oh yeah. We have plenty of woods to go with the open fields where the longhorns just "let go".

@Nooter - They'll just make you sick, pup!

SplitRock Dozer said...

Wait, we dont even get to stay in the house? Well fine then, the trees wont be the only ones to poop in the yard!

nonamedufus said...

They say things are big in Texas but that roller coster takes the cake, er, ah, enchilada! Thanks for the tour.

ReformingGeek said...

@SplitRock - I'll bring in one of the crap boxes.

@Nonamedufus - You're welcome. It's a great ride!

nipsy said...

One of the best stops yet! Seeing as how I spent most my childhood summers with outhouses surrounding me, I'll be right at home. Tex-Mex sounds lovely except for the fact I can't eat it..not unless theres an emergency room within 5 miles..

*shakes fists* damn you ulcers!

Deb said...

I have no idea what soapypilows are, but I bet Rolaids are needed.

Loved the tour! It was just like being there except I didn't need puke bags for the roller coaster!

Great job, RG!

ReformingGeek said...

@Nipsy - I'm sorry about the ulcers! I have to steer away from some of that heavy cheese. I love sopapillas, though!

@Deb - I'm glad you didn't need to puke. Let's go ride it again! I'll have to write about sopapillas/soapypillows soon. I have lots to say about them. ;-)

Mama-Face said...

manny is the best. I lurve my tex-mex.

I enjoyed the ride, thanks, it was sweeeet.

Da Old Man said...

Just looking at that food made me want to go to the bathroom.

Elizabeth said...

Wow, those cow's horns are huge!! Well, I guess that would make them bulls then, huh? And add me as another one that doesn't know what sopapillas are, but the picture of them look delicious!

ReformingGeek said...

@mama-face - Glad you liked it!

@Da Old Man - Yeah. I know what you mean.

@Elizabeth - Actually, the females have horns, too! Sopapillas are delish!

Ed & Jeanne said...

I'm am so ready for the roller coasters! I can see from the shot of the street there at the stockyards station, you have some long traffic problems. No wonder you run everywhere!

ReformingGeek said...

@VE - Yeah. We have a bunch of road hogs out here.

Frank Lee MeiDere said...

Just heard that Six Flags is going bankrupt. Did we do that?

ReformingGeek said...

@Frank - It must be too many tourists puking all over the place!

The Constant Complainer said...

I love Six Flags over Texas. I flew into Texas a few years ago just to visit the Grassy Knoll (I'm a huge JFK buff). Anyway, while I was there, I went to Six Flags and had a very nice time. Although, I thought I heard the other day that they were filing for bankruptcy. I hope there's no truth to that rumor...


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"