Monday, April 19, 2010

Geek to Prune in Only Three Days!

Oh my oh my.  I must learn to be careful what I say on Facebook.  I teased Mother Nature and once again she spat upon me.

No really.  She did.  All I did was notice the lack of wet cats and dogs pouring out of the sky with a relatively humorous post on Facebook:

"I want to know if you've ever seen the rain, I want to know if you've ever seen the rain, coming down on a sunny day." Hum.....how about "I want to know if you can send me some rain, I want to know if you can send me some rain, let it rain for awhile today." Please?

This post yielded the following comment and video link:

"LOL. I just viewed this video clip yesterday and sent it to some friends....check it out...."


I know that ALL of you looked at the video, right?

Then, the following day, Mother Nature opens a cloud and lets me have it.  She kept this up all weekend.  Rain, rain, freakin' rain.  That WITCH!

Actually, I was glad to see it.....for awhile.

The folks out at the Texas Motor Speedway weren't too happy, though.  The big race, scheduled for Sunday, was postponed due to the uncalled for emptying of Mother Nature's stomach contents.  The event is re-scheduled for this afternoon.

Later this afternoon, I will step outside and listen for the horses circling the track.

Sorry.  I mean race cars.  That's horse power, right?

Lucky me.  I'm only a few miles, as the crow flies, from the racetrack. 


I was at a swim clinic this weekend. I spent four hours shivering in the pool Saturday and another three with chattering teeth on Sunday.  I feel like a dried plum, a perfect prune marinated with chlorine, served with an essence of oak pollen. 


My instructor was a fun guy and I laughed at a few of the phrases he used often during our workshop:

Arm next to your ear hole!
   Excuso?  The WHAT hole?
(Oh.  I get it. Arm next to your ear. Hee hee.)

Looking at bandaids and hairballs!
Ew.
(In other words,  head should be down, in line with the spine, looking at the bottom of the pool, or even towards your belly, instead of up or at an angle.)

I want to see butt cheek and upper thigh.
Sheesh. What a pervert.  
(No.  Not really. He was looking for balance and proper rotation during a skating drill.)

It was a great workshop. There were only five of us so we got plenty of attention.  The instructor filmed multiple videos of us swimming both days so you really got to see what you were doing/not doing.  I made some progress and I have things to focus on at the pool. 


Earlier in the week, I went out in the yard to take a few more photos.

My columbine is already blooming! 


If you click to enlarge, you may see the second columbine trying to push its way through.

I'm proud of these white irises for brightening up the yard once the oak trees came out and hogged the sunshine:



Enjoy!

29 comments:

Mama-Face said...

aw. you're inspirational. And have so much influence on the weather it is frightening.

are you sure you live in Texas? All that green foliage?

bandaids and hairballs are really good reasons to stay out of the pool. that's my excuse.

MrsBlogAlot said...

Whew! It's a good thing you didn't ask Mother nature for fertilizer!

Watch how you use that power girl!

Ziva said...

Love the pictures! And I love rain! Can you ask for rain for me as well?

High? No!

Anonymous said...

I did watch the video. It was high-larious.

I'll never be able to at gnu the same. hee hee

And... we'll take some of that rain, please.

ReformingGeek said...

@mama-face - Yes, that's why I take so many pictures in the spring. It's the only time it's green. Mother Nature and I are not currently speaking.

@Mrsblogalot - Yeah, the power is amazing. I wish it worked on Cat.

@Ziva - Ha! I want to gnu if you really need that rain.....

@Quirky - I've seen Lorraine and I know you gneed the rain. I'm on it. ;-)

Leeuna said...

Sorry you're being deluged with rain, but you know what they say about April showers and May flowers.

That was one of the funniest videos I ever saw...or maybe I laughed so hard because I'm coming down from sunny D.

K A B L O O E Y said...

The video was great; and I love me some John Fogarty, but who knows why he pronounces things like that. "Proud Mary keep on boy-ning" and all. If I ever saw a video of myself in a swimming pool, I would turn into a pillar of chlorine. Glad you picked up some pointers.

Moonrayvenne said...

Great video! It's nice to see some blooming flowers as we keep getting freeze warnings still at night...UGH! Just send me some heat! (((HUGS)))

The Old Silly said...

Happy pruning, lol. I'm starting a new organic compost business, maybe I'll offer a discounted, free delivery option for bloggy buddies?

ReformingGeek said...

@Leeuna - I hope we still have some flowers by May! That Sunny D is some potent stuff. Be careful.

@Kablooey - Thanks. Yeah. He's a nut. As for the video, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

@Collette - Thanks. I'm sorry about the cold weather. It's chilly here today. I'll try to get Ms. Nature to send you some heat. Maybe she will take bribes.

@Marvin - Sounds good - as long as I am not put through the mulcher.

Deb said...

Loved the video! 33+ years ago my girlfriend and I were cruising in her dad's car (old station wagon) on a summer night. She had the radio blasting and the song "Sentimental Lady" came on ("Sentimental gentle wind, blowing through my life again....") In her absolutely beautiful voice she instead sang, "Santa bring your little gifts". To this day I can pee my pants if I think about that night! Never mind the fact that she thought this was a Christmas song playing in August!

meleah rebeccah said...

Oh yeah, I learned a LONG time ago, NEVER piss off Mother Nature !!!!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

What a beautiful yard you have, Reffie! Hope you de-prune soon!

ReformingGeek said...

@Deb - I always wondered what Santa got up to in August.

@meleah - Oops.

@CatLady - Thank you. I'm just about de-pruned now.

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

I'm not sure about your instructor, but you have a pretty yard. It looks like a nice mix of wild and cultivated, and the rain, of course, has given you some very nice flowers.

My yard, by contrast, looks dead.

honeypiehorse said...

I LOVED that video. Tears in my eyes.

ReformingGeek said...

@Mike - Thanks. Perhaps your yard is only awaiting Mother Nature's gentle touch.

@honeypie - Thanks. Me, too.

Unknown said...

i think your swim instructor and my dad must be related!

Don't worry, I wont let Nascar know it was you who caused Lorraine :)

Marissa said...

Funny video! It rained here in LA too. Rain sucks - period. But I like what it does for your garden.

ReformingGeek said...

@dizzblnd - The probably are related. Thank you for keeping that between us.

@Marissa - Thanks. I just wish it wouldn't rain so much at once!

Unfinished Rambler said...

Don't you know to not go taunting happy Facebook.

Well, now you do.

Ed & Jeanne said...

Don't talk to me about rain...

And that video is one of my all time favorites...too funny...

Jean Knee said...

I used to date a guy who used phrases just like that when we

uh.. never mind

ReformingGeek said...

@Unfinished - Facebook and Mother Nature are sleeping together.

@VE - Haha! Sorry. I'm glad you liked the video.

@Jean - What? What? Oh. My.

Unknown said...

Mother Nature can be such a bitch when she's on the rag, uh, er weed. This year she's been on the ragweed a lot.

Your yard looks gorgeous!!!

Mike said...

Be careful what you wish for! LOL! I never hope for rain.

UberGrumpy said...

Well, thank you for the pix. The weather's gone all wrong - we've had a week of sunshine in the UK. It's unnatural.

ReformingGeek said...

@Lauren - Thanks! Yeah, her and her ragweed are something else.

@otin - That's smart, Otin.

@Uber - You're welcome. I'm glad you're enjoying some sunshine.

The Constant Complainer said...

I don't know about anyone else, but I enjoyed the "Foursome Time" part of the video!!!


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"