Thursday, July 9, 2009

Airport Hugs and Chickens?

While sitting at the airport waiting for a friend's flight to arrive, I started people watching. It's always so entertaining. The flight from Orlando had obviously just arrived. How could I tell?



Well, it was the young girl wearing a Minnie Mouse costume and the other kiddies holding stuffed Mickeys. Grandma was watching the carry-ons and mom and dad were hauling luggage with "heavy" tags off the carousel. In other words, it was a brilliant deduction.

Then there were the others waiting on the flight from Boston with us, including a youngish woman dressed to the nines. Her reaction to greeting her guy (it really was sweet) prompted Hubby and I to discuss the transition of a couples meeting each other at the airport:
  1. The woman meets her guy wearing a super short dress, high heels, full face of make-up, with hair styled. Guy is greeted with a french kiss or at least a lingering kiss of some sort.
  2. The woman is still excited to see the guy but the honeymoon's over. She's wearing reasonably nice clothes, some makeup, but nothing out of the ordinary. There might be a hug or a quick kiss upon greeting.
  3. This showing up at the airport to meet the guy is getting old. She's wearing sweats, shorts, or whatever. Her hair might be combed/styled. Make-up? Ha! Very funny.
  4. The couple is set in their routines and having to fetch the guy from the airport is becoming a royal pain. The woman waits for the guy to call and then shows up outside the terminal area. She may or may not get out of the car.
  5. GET A CAB!
  6. Oh. You. Back already?
So where do you fit?

I think I mentioned that the property behind us as sold but nobody is living there. This week we discovered that someTHING is living there:


That's right. It's a chicken pen. Obviously, they don't read my blog. If they did, they would know that any chicken will not last long out here with all the cats, bobcats, and coyotes. Sheesh! Even my old cat could get a chicken.

Finally, we got new gutters this week. Some rain to test them would be even better. We are also getting a long awaited sprinkler system for our yard. That's right. My poor plants and grass are taking even more abuse in this heat but at least it's for a good cause. BTW, I will soon be opening an Ebay store selling body parts to pay for this endeavor. Oh wait. I only have one kidney. I guess that organ won't be part of the product assortment. Hubby suggested selling something else but I said there is no way in Hades I'm selling my shoes.

Photo credit: Mice and Chicken Pen photos taken by aspiring still life photographer ReformingGeek

31 comments:

Funnyrunner said...

No! Hold on to your shoes! Hope the gutters hold up!

Airport greetings... hmmmm. We generally park at the airport... so no spouse must pick up the other... and upon arrival home it's "hey. how ya doin'? good trip? yeah? cool. you're gonna mow the lawn now, right?"

Jean Knee said...

definitely # 6

I ain't going to no airport

Meadowlark said...

We were #1's the first twelve years of marriage, but that's because the returns were usually from six month deployments. Which also explains the slutty attire. Or lack thereof under the trenchcoat. :)

I've only moved to #2 because he insists. I can't help it... I'm like our crazed labrador retriever... I have a tendency to follow him around, perk up when he walks in the room and sadly, I even find myself starting to look out the window all the time when I think he's on his way home. And worse? Standing at the doorway to greet him.

After almost 24 years. I'm a dope. Even our kids make fun of me.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand. When did significant others start picking up their other halves at the airport?

I thought they had to stay home with nothing but a pair of high-heels on and then...

the real welcome begins! heh heh

bak, bak, baaaaak!

Nooter said...

maybe that thing in the backyard is their guest house

ReformingGeek said...

@Funnyrunner - That does make it easier! Don't worry. The shoe collection (of my dreams) is safe.

@Jean - Please don't come anywhere near DFW. It's a zoo.

@Meadlowlark - I know what you mean, GF.

@Quirky - Hum.......

@Nooter - Most likely. Or it's your new home. ;-)

Gorilla Bananas said...

You don't need shoes. Barefoot women are much admired in my neighbourhood.

Anonymous said...

I suggest you sell chickens on ebay before the cat gets them....and if that little shanty rig for the chicks is any indication of the real neighbors you'll be getting....sorry 'bout that.

ReformingGeek said...

@Gorilla - I AM NOT going barefoot around here. There are too many landmines.

@Dana - Yeah. We can't wait.

Meadowlark said...

Wait a second. I realized I had to come back and defend the chicken shanty.

I TOTALLY would have backyard chickens. RG, do you mean to tell me you are not into the sustainable, eat local movement? Shame shame, I know your name!!!!

Seriously though, backyard chickens rock and if I ever win the battle I'll have a kick ass little chicken tractor like that one. Not sure what the metal pipe looking things are though.

Mike said...

I like it when my grass turns brown! I hate mowing!

ReformingGeek said...

@Meadowlark - I'm glad the chickens have a fan. Seriously, I'm thinking eggs.

@otin - Get some goats.

Elizabeth said...

You'll have to tell us how long that chicken makes it before some preditor finds it.
And for the airport thing, hmmm, I guess I'd be between a 2 and a 3. I'm really happy to see him get off the airplane, but I'm not much into PDA.

Ed & Jeanne said...

Airports can be so entertaining. I like to wear a suit and glasses with a sign of some famous person and then hold that up while a flight departs. You should see the celebrity stalkers gather...

Unknown said...

I'm #2 and 4 and 6. Depending on my mood. After 18 years of marriage.. yep honeymoons over.

As for the chickens.. I am sure we can all start sending you great recipes for when your cat starts bringing them home.

Deb said...

In the 14 years I've been with Mr. Man, neither one of us has set foot on a plane, train or bus, so I have no clue where we'd fit in with the airport greeting, but I'd say between 1 and 2 is where we'd fit in!

Get a bunch of friends together, let the chickens free and bet on which one crosses the road first (intact).

I'm sending our rain your way for your gutters. Let me know how it goes. Would you like the 54 degree days to go along with it?

ReformingGeek said...

@Elizabeth - Between 2 and 3 works for me! As for the chickies, they appear to be live and well or the new folks brought over some replacements. We saw them and their humans last night.

@VE - I can SO see you doing that, VE!

@dizzblnd - Yep. Mood makes a difference. Fresh chicken to cook. Yeah!

@Deb - Chicken Chase. What a great party game! Please send 54 degrees, even if it's only for 1 day! 14 years and you're still between 1 and 2? That's great!

Nooter said...

ohh, a clubhouse for me. cooool...

ReformingGeek said...

@Nooter - Yeah and with fresh chicken every day, you've got it made!

Suzanne said...

Ebay frowns upon selling body parts, sell them on Craig's List.

Marvin D Wilson said...

Forget about the bobcats and coyotes - the chicken would soon be part of a prime ingredient in one of my fine gourmet soups!

The Old Silly

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I'm a #2 and/or #5...depends on the mood and arrival time.

Good luck with the gutters. We've had plenty of rain (in our basement) this year.

Skye said...

Ok, this is an interesting question, I would be a #1 whereas Silv would have to be about a #6! I'm always happy to have him come home, where as he's just "Hmmm, you're home, how was your day?" type of guy. Granted, we're never apart for more than 8 hours at any given time, so I really shouldn't speculate too much, huh?

As for the chickens, yep, I agree, that idea of letting them loose and seeing which one get's across the road first sounds like fun!

ReformingGeek said...

@Sue - Craig's List it is.

@Marvin - Hum.....why not?

@mood swing - Sorry about the rain in your basement. Too bad we couldn't have some of that.

@Skye - I'm glad to see Hubby, too, unless he's really grumpy.

Maureen said...

Not the SHOES!

After 29 years, and me being the one who travels on business, I tell hubby to stay home and I take a cab...

Might as well make work pay for the pickup, gas etc.

Chaotically Calm said...

I'm not married but I still want to play the airport game...roles are a bit reversed as I do more traveling than my beau. Normally it's a late flight in from some odd place or another...be brings me dinner which is as good as it gets really besides if he were wearing eyeliner things might get a little weird between us.

Good luck with the gutters and please don't sell your shoes...shoes are way too precious.

ReformingGeek said...

@Maureen - The shoes are safe. Phew! I think parking the vehicle at the airport and expensing the fees is a great way to do it.

@Chaotic - Bringing you dinner is very sweet! He gets lots of points! I'm with you. Guys and eyeliner? Um, no.

Unknown said...

I have been married so long we do not get out of each others site much. If we were at the airport it would be together and we would have made it into the mile high club. 35 years!

Hit 40 said...

Our house came with in the ground sprinklers. They miss spots. I still have to go water some things by hand.

United Studies said...

One of my favorite things about flying is people-watching. You will find all kinds of people in airports.

For me, it would be #1, but that is how I am all the time. When I go out I make sure to be dressed nice, with makeup and not a hair out of place.

The Constant Complainer said...

People watching is always fun - especially at the airport. No wait, or my favorite, the grocery store.

Nice chicken pen. I'm sure it adds to the character of their yard...


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"