Monday, June 28, 2010

We Be Lookin' Good!

My 30-year high school reunion started with a mixer on Friday evening.  Hubby and I decided not to attend but to save our livers energy for the Saturday evening event.  When we gathered for Saturday's event, we heard that the group had a great time visiting but the "after party" at a local alumni's mansion ("rich girl") was the highlight of the evening. 

Evil Twin's ears perked up when she heard about the mansion.  She was sure that they were playing with steak knives, mower blades, and chainsaws, but I explained that it was most likely an open liquor cabinet that contributed to the success of that event.

Saturday morning, a few brave souls played a round of golf....or something that slightly resembled golf.  Hubby and I slept late, had a leisurely breakfast, and before I knew it, Hubby had his car up on blocks ramps and was examining his oil plug.

YIKES!
  
That sounded crazy to me so I mowed the lawn and went for a bike ride in the 100 degree heat.

The main event was Saturday evening.   For many folks, the biggest challenge of the evening was how quickly they could part with their drink tickets or being able to con other alumni out of theirs.

We also had dinner and there was a slide show playing all evening.  Someone had taken pages from the annual and scanned them to make a presentation.  I'm thinking it's earth-friendly.  It can be resued at every reunion although they will have to update the "no longer with us" section as time passes.

Sigh.


Later, they had the proverbial "who has" awards:

WHO HAS:

...traveled the longest distance to attend the reunion:  Seattle to D/FW
....the most kids:  5
...the oldest child:  29
...the youngest child:  8 weeks !!!!!!
....had a sex change:  ____
...came out of the closet:  a friend of mine

Ha!  No, there wasn't a question about a sex change but a friend is definitely out of the closet.  She's happy and confident in her relationship with another woman.  I'm happy for her.

Several Black Jack tables were available to learn the game or hone your skills.  Hubby thinks they were there for the spouses to have something to do.  He's probably right.  I played a little.  I was doing well and then starting losing.  I was glad it wasn't for real.

Being a spouse at one of these things is just a step or two above incredibly dull.  Hubby did great.  He wasn't a wallflower and was cheerful hanging around with me while we talked to different folks.

I went to the 10-year reunion and it was completely different.  It was a much larger group. Everyone seemed to visit with only the people they knew well from school.  With over 500 graduates I guess that makes some sense.     They had a 20-year reunion but I didn't know about it at the time.  I heard it wasn't well attended.

We only had about 50 classmates at this 30-year reunion.  It was much more relaxing.  Everyone talked to everyone else and seemed to have a great time.

In my opinion, we looked awesome.  I don't think any of us have "been under the knife" for a few little fixes or enhancements.    There was this one lady, though, a spouse of a classmate.  Her boobs entered the room before she did.  They were obviously enhanced.  There was no doubt with her low-cut tank top.  She was also very tall and leggy.  She didn't seem to mind standing out in the crowd, proud of her husband's expenditures.

The guys all seemed taller.  Seriously, I think they grew a couple of inches after they turned 18. 

A photographer was hired to take candid photos and a group photo.  He staged the group photo outside and then he backed up and stepped up on a chair to take the picture.   The chair was wobbly and tilted back on three legs.  Evil Twin got excited again.  She kept trying to leave the group to "help" the photographer fall over the fence behind him.

Sheesh.

Fortunately or not, the photos were taken without incident.

I cleverly managed to avoid being in candid photographs taken by classmates and my camera stayed in my purse while I worked the room moving my pie hole.  I will most likely be purchasing the photos from the photographer.  When I get those, I will post them.

Maybe.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you hire out evil twin? I've got some special projects (ahem) for her to take care of (*wink wink*).

hee hee

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. I wouldn't step one inch of my reunion. Once a wallflower, always a wallflower.

Nobody would 'member me!

And that's the way I like it! *grin*

Mike said...

I went to one reunion and realized that all of the people who I did not socialize with in high school were the same people who I didn't want to socialize with as an adult! LOL

Chris said...

Reminds me of the episode of Taxi (best sitcom ever) when Louie is invited to his reunion. In effort to make it seem like he turned out, well, un-Louie-like, Bobby Wheeler pretends to be him, and exacts revenge on Louie's former tormentors.

Great stuff.

ReformingGeek said...

@Quirky - Evil Twin might not be very reliable. You, a wallflower? Never!

@otin - There will always be some people like that but as time goes by, some of the ones that you didn't know very well may turn out to be great people. Facebook helps.

@Chris - Ha! That sounds hilarious.

meleah rebeccah said...

Reunions can be extremely boring especially if it's not even YOUR own. Im glad you didn't suffer too much!

But, I can't get over the fact that you went for a bike ride in 100 degree weather! That's true dedication.

When its that hot here, I hibernate inside with the air-conditioning blasting!

Unknown said...

Okay. I've unintentionally shut the comment window twice before publishing. Wrote the damn thing twice. I tell you. I'm getting pissed. I've got nothing. Nothing - to quote Sergeant Schultz from Hogan's Heroes. Geez.

I'm glad you had a great time. My husband and I were in the same class in high school. Didn't meet again until our early twenties at a local hang out in town. We went to our 15 or 20 year reunion.

You need to keep Evil Twin on a short leash. If that doesn't work, try an electric collar.

Oh what a night. Is that a song? Tapping foot.

Question:

The guys all seemed taller.
Are you sure you didn't shrink?

Ziva said...

I'm glad you had a good time! If I were invited to my reunion I would probably burn the invitation. But I might think differently in 20 years or so. I can't wait for the pictures!

MrsBlogAlot said...

I'm still stuck on the 100 degree bike ride.

Was this evil twin's doing?

It had to be.

ReformingGeek said...

@Meleah - Fortunately, it's been windy when it hits 100.

@Lauren - There is a couple in our class that didn't get together until after high school. I don't think they were even aware of each other during school.

Electric collar - Hum...That must be that tingling I'm feeling in my head.

Ahem. No. I'm NOT shorter!

The Four Seasons. Tapping foot

@Ziva - I wasn't sure I wanted to go either!

@MrsBlogalt - Maybe it WAS Evil Twin. She's trying to kill me.

Deb said...

Evil Twin is the BEST! I would like to see her have a bit more freedom, though.

Kudos to you and hubby for going and surviving a reunion. I have never been to one of mine since there's no one I care to see that I don't already keep in touch with...which is no one (I hung out with the upper classmen)!

Can't wait to see the photos - just hope the boobs of your classmate's spouse don't block out the rest of you.

Jean Knee said...

sounds like a good time.

I went to a small school (27 in my class) and we have never had a reunion. But last year I went to a football game and saw some people I hadn't seen since I was 17. I was warned they would look old but they sounded different, especially the men. I couldn't get used to how everyone sounded. spooky

Unknown said...

So glad you enjoyed yourself! It doesn't sound like Evil Twin did tho...

Leeuna said...

Glad you made it through the reunion and your hubby sounds like a good sport. LOL at the woman with the enhanced boobs. I'm looking forward to the photos.

Reunions are kind of fun, but after the second or third the attendance drops off. I think there were only about thirty or so at our last one.

ReformingGeek said...

@Deb - Thanks. Maybe your school will do a combined years reunion. I'll loan you Evil Twin.

@Jean - Yeah, they sounded different? That is spooky. Maybe they have been taken over by aliens.

@AmyLK - Evil Twin is always pouting.

@Leeuna - Yeah. I can see that. I'm glad I didn't go to the 20-year. I might not have gone to this one.

K A B L O O E Y said...

Ever think enhancement woman might have been hired for the evening? (Sorry, that's MY evil twin talking.)

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

I think some of us are definitely going to want to see some of those photos.

Suzanne said...

My friend and I dragged our husbands to our 20th and they sat at our table like a couple of bumps on a log. We decided for the 30th we'd leave them at home and just go together.
OMG, it's next year!

Looking forward to the pictures!

ReformingGeek said...

@Kablooey - Hum....maybe she was.

@MikeMJ - These aren't the photos you're looking for....

@Sue - Yes, you should leave them at home next time.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tgoette said...

How fun! My 30 year is this month and I'm debating about going. I don't have an enhanced trophy wife, so I'm thinking not. Sounds like yours was a great experience and I can't wait to see the photos!

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

How do you know what I'm looking for?

G.~ said...

How funny this is. My husband and I were just talking about whether or not they had 30 year reunions.

Now I'll be able to tell him. We went to his twenty year reunion about five years ago.

Utterly boring. I can't stand small talk or status updates. Ugh.

Chaotically Calm said...

Hey Reforming,
My 10 yr reunion was a few months ago. I avoided it like the plague. I went to a all girls school and I just can't imagine those chicks being any less catty. Maybe I'll shoot for the 30 year. By then some of them will be men I'm sure and it will be a good time. LMAO

The Old Silly said...

Definitely put the pics up, Reffie. Fun post, as usual.

ReformingGeek said...

@Tgoette - I say GO!

@MikeWJ - I'm a Jedi. I see all.

@G.~ I guess some schools do and some don't.

@Chaotic - Some will be men? I love it! I wish I had avoided the 10-year reunion.

@Marvin - Thanks. I guess I'd better order them!

Hybrid said...

LOL at oil plug. Epic win on that one. :)

Surf on over to www.hybridhondas.com and click on some information links.

IT (aka Ivan Toblog) said...

Sorry I missed this when it was fresh.
I've been to a few reunions with my spouse... have another this year.

One of her friend's husband and I have this game we play to keep from getting bored. It's called "do you remember?" One of us will slip alongside a female member of the class and ask how well the person remembers a particular dating incident such as at the drive-in or at someone's home. Yeah, it's kinda sick, but nobody should really make a spouse go to a class reunion.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Constant Complainer said...

I'm glad you attended this. As you wrote about it earlier, I really thought you should.

Although it would have been fun to have been Evil Twin all night...

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

My 40th reunion is coming up next year. Can I take Evil Twin as my date... I'm sure she'd liven things up!


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"