Sunday, July 4, 2010

Seeing White...and Red and Blue

Was it just last week that I was complaining about the hot and dry weather we've been having?

I should know better.  Apparently, Mother Nature manifested some kind of system that parked itself over north Texas and then got together with some guy named Alex and they churned up a doozy.  We've had a "mighty fine" soaking over the last few days, including a monsoon yesterday evening that left piles of mud on the sidewalks. 

"Mighty fine" is something my dad used to say.   I giggled when I wrote it.

Our area lakes thank you for the liquid, Ms. Fickle M. Nature.

We've gone from crunchy, scorched, grass to fungus:


Those white blotches are mushrooms.

Ick.

Hum.....I just noticed Evil Twin going into the shed in the back.  She was carrying test tubes, beakers, and a bunsen burner.   She said she was making some magic.

Should I be concerned?

Sigh.

Happy Birthday, America, on this Independence Day!  I put a call in to Will Smith, thanking him again for saving the world from those ugly aliens.  I had to leave a message, just like last year.  Actually, just like every time I call.  I'm still waiting on a call back.  I guess he's busy.

Sigh.

Hubby, Evil Twin, and I went to the baseball game last night.   Soldiers from Fort Hood did the honors with our flag:



We got to see Nolan Ryan:


He's the guy on the first row with the round, empty spot on his head.

Evil Twin enjoyed views of players' butts:


We were all disappointed that there were no fireworks after the game.  Although there were plenty of other places having fireworks last night, the ballpark decided to save them for tonight instead.

Sheesh!

I'm in big trouble with the twin. I had to tell her that she was going to get to set off the fireworks in order to get her to behave at the game.  When she found out the truth....well....there was a little surprise in my running shoes this morning. 

Ew.

Have a great holiday!

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno Reffers. I still think you should rent Evil Twin out.

You'd be rich!

She's soooo talented and dependable.

heh heh heh

Sorry no fireworks. :)

Anonymous said...

BASEBALL, BEER AND EXPLOSIVES!!! What could go wrong!

Unknown said...

Evil Twin + Mushrooms + Fireworks = Bombs bursting in hair.

Have a Happy 4th. Keep an eye on ET.

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

I like what Dana said. She's a true-blue American!

Sorry about the fungus amungus, by the say. Could you put them on a salad and call it good?

Mike said...

Have a great fourth, or what is left of it!

I hate rain. I actually enjoy brown grass, less mowing.

I heard that Nolan Ryan can be a real ass to people.

ReformingGeek said...

@Quirky - I'm still working on the business model. ;-)

@Dana - Yep. It must be Texas.

@Lauren - I think I saw her headed your way.

@MikeWJ - I'll send you some to try out.

@Otin - I wouldn't want to cross him. ;-)

MrsBlogAlot said...

Will Smith never calls me back either.

We should sick Evil Twin on him for rudeness.

Enjoy the rest of the night!

Ange said...

Making magic eh? Ummm...was that with the mushrooms?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leeuna said...

That Evil Twin is just...evil. I like her. See if she can conjure up a spell to send us a monsoon. We're drying up here.

Oh, and we call those 'shrooms toad stools.

ReformingGeek said...

@Mrsblogalot - Thanks. Yeah, shame on Will!

@Ange - I'm not sure what she's up to. Maybe I should go check.

@Leeuna - Yeah, toad stools. That's right! I'll put her to work on that spell.

Chris said...

No 4th of July fireworks at the game? Must've wanted to make sure they drew a good crowd for the Monday night game.

GO YANKEES!

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

Sounds like you had a great 4th, despite the lack of fireworks! And could you PLEASE send some of that rain over here in the East? We've got that crunchy, cornflakes lawn you spoke of, and it's NOT pretty!!

K A B L O O E Y said...

A monsoon?! Holy Al Gore and global warming, Batman. Since when is Texas in Myanmar?

ReformingGeek said...

@Chris - It's NO YANKEES!

@Joan - I'm so sorry. I'll send the rain right away!

@Kablooey - Yes, Holy Al is at it again! ;-)

The Constant Complainer said...

I agree with Dana. It's hard to go wrong with that combination. We hit the Indians game on Saturday night for the exact same reason.

Seeing Nolan Ryan - Priceless

The mad woman behind the blog said...

So late to the game....hey, way to get Vlad in the shot too! So glad he plays for "us" instead of the Angels.
Yes, I live in CA and am a Rangers fan. And yes, I'm praying for the fan that fell from the top deck last night.

Oh, and I'm a random commenter, but always lurking.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I just HAD to explore a site called Reforming Geek..........too funny. Love your humour, will enjoy following along........

ReformingGeek said...

@Constant - The beer is always flowing at the ballpark.

@mad woman - Welcome fellow Rangers fan! I think that fan is going to be OK. Phew! I was afraid that Evil Twin pushed him.

@Sherry - Thank you. Welcome to the madness.

Ivy said...

It's hard to answer phones when you're raising the karate kid. Don't feel bad, Will never returns my phone calls either.

While Mother Nature was unloading rain and windstorms with Alex her cabana boy, she was flat out ignoring West Virginia. When mommy is away, the Sun comes out to play. It's a desert here!

Send some of that rain our way!!! We're dying out here!

Suzanne said...

Who needs a call from Will Smith when you have a picture of the back of Nolan Ryan's head, really?

Deb said...

Can we see some more ballplayer butts please?

ReformingGeek said...

@Ivy - I'm so sorry you have our weather. We don't want it back.

@Sue - Good point. Forget Will.

@Deb - I may have one more.....somewhere.

The Old Silly said...

"Evil Twin enjoyed views of players' butts:"

Of course, REFFIE never looks, now does she? (wink)

Lindsey Buck said...

Oh rain is my favorite kind of weather! I'm definitely jealous, we have been getting NONE of that around here. It looks like you had a fun 4th!

Boomer Pie. said...

Too bad about no fireworks at the game but at least you didn't fall 30 feet over a wall trying to catch a foul ball.

ReformingGeek said...

@Marvin - Ahem. Of course not.

@Lindzena - I love rain in the summer. I'm sorry it's been so dry there.

@Boomer - We saw that game on TV. That was SCARY!

Jean Knee said...

our grass is green and lush.

which really pisses us off 'cuz it should be dead by now with little mowing required

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Like Dana said... baseball, beer & explosives! Woohoo! Personally, though, I could leave out the baseball part... does that make me un-American?


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"