Saturday, July 24, 2010

Centus Thief Strikes Again

Wow.  Saturday already?  

I hope everyone had a great week.

My mission today is to write a short story of about 100 words using this prompt in the story: 

Driving six hours is a long time on the road.  Six hours spent singing car-aoke and taking in the picturesque scenery, but mostly reminiscing about the good times.  But those days were long gone and my mind was in a different place now.  Or was it?  My pulse quickened as I passed the road sign which read "Medford 27 miles."

Evil Twin and I accepted the mission, watched the mission tape self-destruct, waved at the late Peter Graves and that Scientific Dude Tom Cruise, and got down to business:

Dinner Isn't the Only Thing Cooking

Driving six hours is a long time on the road.  Six hours spent singing car-aoke and taking in the picturesque scenery, but mostly reminiscing about the good times.  But those days were long gone and my mind was in a different place now.  Or was it?  My pulse quickened as I passed the road sign which read "Medford 27 miles."

Medford?

No.  Look again.

PHEW!  Stepford.  Yes, that's much better.   I can't get lost again and be late.  Dinner must be on the table by 5:30 pm or there will be consequences.  

All of the men have been so irritable lately.   I'll have to remember to talk to the other ladies about this at our next gathering.

I think we'll meet on Tuesday night this time, while the men are "bowling".  Yeah, right.   Bowling. Very soon, something else about 12 pounds will be rolling around here.

Take a breath.  Patience.  Patience.  I must make another call to Sally to see if she will join us.  After what happened last week, she may be more than ready to participate.

Tom, over at Sophisticated Lunacy, is a regular participant in the Saturday Centus.   Go check out his story.  It's a good one!


26 comments:

MrsBlogAlot said...

LOL! Stepford!

You really know how to dish up a great 100 words!

Leeuna said...

Great story Reffie. LOL at Stepford. And yeah, the men are off "bowling". Of course they are. *wink*

K A B L O O E Y said...

Oh, dang. I know the basic concept of The Stepford Wives, but not enough of the plot to know what you're referencing. Sorry. On a related, though tangential note, we were flipping channels tonight and happened on a Lawrence Welk rerun. The women's gravity defying flip haircuts riveted us in place for a few minutes. They looked very "Stepford Wives," I think.

ReformingGeek said...

@Mrsblogalot - Thanks. Hee Hee. Dishing up indeed.

@Leeuna - Thanks. Yeah, "bowling" to be replaced by rolling. Hee Hee.

@Kablooey - Go to Wiki but yes, the flip haircut on all the women might be a good sign you've landed in Stepford. You don't want to be there.

Unknown said...

Great work! ROFL! Evil twin as a Stepford Wife, even you. You'd probably hack into the system and deactivate all the hard drives. Hm. That didn't quite come out the way I had intended.

Anonymous said...

Ah! Another Centus thingy!

Nicely done Reffers. Verra verra nice! *grin*

Tgoette said...

Great, great job, Reffie! You and Evil Twin wrote a marvelous story. The Stepford theme was such a unique and creative direction! I love that you are doing these little writing exercises, but you should link up with Jenny's SC meme post and share!

Thanks again for the shout out and pimpin' my blog! That was very nice of you.

ReformingGeek said...

@Lauren - Thanks. Shhhhh. Don't give away our plans.

@Quirky - Thanks. It was fun.

@Tom - Thanks. I couldn't resist the Stepford theme. Yeah, I need to link. I'm just lazy sometimes!

Mike said...

This is the second one of these that I have seen and I must admit that I am totally confused! LOL

honeypiehorse said...

Not totally sure what's going on but sounds like you get together to share stories? Great idea!

ReformingGeek said...

It's a simple way to be creative. The organizer provides a prompt and you write a story using that prompt. Participation is optional, of course.

Unknown said...

Love it! Will there be more? :)

meleah rebeccah said...

Nicely done! LOL @ Stepford! Ahahahahahahahah

ReformingGeek said...

@AmyLK - Thanks. I hope so but I'm lazy sometimes so I play it by ear!

@meleah - Thank you! Hee Hee. Must get dinner on the table....

Deb said...

Oooo! Good job, Reffie! If you and Evil Twin need any help with those Stepford dudes, you let me know.

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

Ah, the Stepford reference. I remember that movie very well. Actually, I just remember Katherine Ross very well. I mean, Nicole Kidman. I'm not old to remember the robotic Katherine in that flimsy negligee.

Jean Knee said...

I used to play bunco with the Stepford wives.



those were the days

ReformingGeek said...

@Deb - Thanks. You and Nutjub are always welcome to join us.

@Mike - Ahem. This is a family blog. ;-)

@Jean - Oh. I see you've met the ladies from a church I used to attend.

Not Irritable Male Marv said...

Loved it. Not only the well done fun story in 100 words, the meal ... nice Reffie!

The Old Silly

Unknown said...

LMAO@ that Scientific Dude Tom Cruise, and got down to business
You crack me up!

ReformingGeek said...

@Marvin - Thanks. I'm so glad you're not irritable. You can join our little "gathering".

@Georgie - Hee Hee. Good 'ole' Tom. He makes such great fodder.

Anonymous said...

TWO COMPLAINTS HERE:

(1) I think I wanna be part of the centus...then again...maybe not....is it me or is it hot in here?

(2) I started reading; grabbed my blankey and popped my thumb in my mouth and.....WHAT!? 100 words and you left me wanting more......

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

Brilliant! LOVE it! You and evil twin have quite a fantastic knack for this!!

ReformingGeek said...

@Dana - It's hot. I'm coming up there.

@Joan - Thanks. She apparently has many talents!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Stepford... ha! Everything about your life suddenly becomes very clear, Reffie!

Mama-Face said...

Hey, I live in Stepford. You should have stopped by.

(I keep telling you what to do. oops).


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"