Friday, July 15, 2011

This Ranting Geek May Need Medication!

Where am I?  Is this the same earth that brought me snow and below-freezing temperatures last winter?  My brain is boiling from these triple-digit days, about 12 in a row now.  Thanks much for bringing on the brown season here in north Texas.  


I'd like to crawl into a hole and emerge sometime this fall or in time for summer vacation to a cooler place.

Strange things are happening....

We visited New Mexico where at least we had cooler nights but the fires burned turning the horizon into a smoky haze.  

Pink sun.  Is this Mars or maybe Venus?

Los Alamos was evacuated.  When people returned to their homes, they were warned that displaced bears may be visiting looking for food.    Oh, my.  Be careful Goldilocks. 

 Ahs.  So sweet of the two-legs to leave me some treats.

We are headed to the land of Jellystone in late August.  Yellowstone, that is.  No fires there this year but there is an oil spill in the Yellowstone River.   Ew. So all the bears are now black bears?

Snort.  I just can't help myself today.

Bear activity is on the rise as the poor creatures can't find enough food at higher elevations.  A beetle is destroying pine trees limiting the pine nuts available to hungry grizzlies.   Hubby says we are wearing bells while hiking so we lessen our chance of startling Mama and Cubs.

It's not surprising that many Americans are obese.  Hubby and I were rolling our eyes at how many able-bodied people we see that push the button to have doors open automatically.  What?  So your arms don't work?  They're not full.  You don't have kids with you.  You're not in a wheelchair or using a walker or cane.  Sheesh.  USE YOUR ARMS! 

Ok.  Ok.  Maybe you're having a bad day.    I think I'll head to the kitchen for a fattening snack.  


What is it with Texas?  Casey Anthony moving here.  Seriously?    Glenn Beck wants to hang his hat here, too?  Wow.   I'm not standing here with open arms, 'K?  How about North Dakota or Kansas or maybe New Jersey?  Yeah, that works.  Adios. 

That's enough ranting for today.  Have a great weekend.

17 comments:

Belle said...

Great post. Love the thing about Satan. Sorry you guys are suffering from the heat.

Anonymous said...

Hey, where's your Texas spirit Girl? I would think you would love having Beck/Anthony in your backyard! hee hee

Ya'll use guns their dontchoo?

Ahem.

hee hee hee

ReformingGeek said...

@Belle - Thanks. I think the heat is getting to a lot of us down here!

@Quirky - Shhhh. Be quiet about the arsenal, 'K?

Chris said...

Yeah, it's pretty dang hot here in the Mojave Desert region of SoCal. Yesterday my contact lenses melted.

Sucks.

Unknown said...

Casey Anthony will scare all the bears away. Your post was pure poetry echoing across the flatlands, over the dusty hills, to the hot sweat-stained Texas sky.

I love your point about the electric doors. It's so true. Sending cool thoughts your way. Hang in there and make those a-holes use their arms.

K A B L O O E Y said...

Guilty as charged re: electric doors. I really like hitting the one at the mall. I have to slow down while the first one opens, but then that second door is all splayed and waiting for me to waltz right in. Small pleasures, Reffie; small pleasures. Buy one of those misting fans, why don't ya?

Devon said...

LOL. Love that sign. We have been having crazy cool weather here. I mean, normally we have high 90s and it's been low to mid 80s. I'm ready for summer! This weather is not summer weather. I'm sick of freezing at the pool with my kids. heh

ReformingGeek said...

@Chris - Ugh. You can keep your sanded melted contacts.

@Lauren - Thanks for the cool thoughts. We need them. Bears are smart. They know better than to live in Texas.

@Kablooey - Shame on you. USE YOUR ARMS! :)

@Devon - I don't like freezing at the pool but a high in the 80's would be heaven. Heck, I'd settle for a high of 95.

00dozo said...

Be thankful it's a dry heat (I know, I know, I said that last year, too).
;-)

I feel for ya, though. It's hot and humid here. It feels like swimming without the pool. Ugh.

THINGS YOU'D NEVER GUESS ABOUT ME said...

Due to the double jeopardy law, I assume Casey Anthony wants to come to a state that actually USES the death penalty so she can swagger a little more.

Surely Texans carry guns??? Did I just say that out loud?

Suzanne said...

That is a great sign.
I heard Casey Anthony was coming here to Ohio but you guys can have her, fine with me.

Oh the light bulb just went on over my head! Maybe it's so very hot in Texas because she's coming, you know preparing her. Get your pitchfork Carol!

Lindsey Buck said...

Ha, I was just in Yellowstone last May. It was much colder during that time though. Don't get eaten by bears, mkay?

ReformingGeek said...

@00dozo - Yeah. It's dry but the concrete radiates. Ugh.

@Dana - Shhhhh.

@Sue - I'm sure someone will have a pitchfork handy.

@Lindzena - Ugh. I want to see them from far, far, away!

Jean Knee said...

have you seen those same people (automatic door people) drive around the parking lot for what seems like hours just to avoid walking 60 feet?

yeah

The Constant Complainer said...

Let's see... Evil Twin, Glenn Beck and Casey Anthony all living in the same state. Could be trouble...

ReformingGeek said...

@Jean - Yep, especially at Wally World!

@Constant - Haha! Mr. Beck is much closer than I want him to be. Ugh.

Ivy said...

What part of Texas do you live in? I've only been to Dallas, it was beautiful... but I did spend the entire time I was there taking photos at weird angles to prove to my husband that everything was bigger in Texas. That's normal, right? :)

It's been super hot here too! 117 degrees yesterday... I was thinking about suggesting to city council that we change our town motto from "100 Years Young" to "Neighboring Hell, but still kicking."


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"