Monday, November 24, 2008

Screw me once, shame on you.....


After being strangled by our local cable company (pun intended), I got to thinking about how often we get trapped or conned into something that we want to kick ourselves for later.

As for the cable company, our bill for Internet service seemed kind of high but Hubby really took notice when he logged on to their site to see what service level we have and noticed that we seemed to be paying about $15 more than expected per month. Say what? Who knows what B.S. is actually going on, but after a few threats we are back down to the "original" rate.

Our issue is that we are stuck between a rock and a hard place for high-speed Internet service. We can't get DSL. We had a service using microwave technology that was expensive and unreliable, and satellite is way too expensive. Once they finally laid cables in our neighborhood (just a few years ago), we finally opted for cable.

Before they laid the cables, we kept getting advertisements in the mail for high-speed Internet cable. We finally called them and say "Hey come on out and get us hooked up". We were fairly certain that there weren't any cable lines but they said they would be right out. We just smiled and waited to see events transpire. The poor guy came out and looked around and finally asked "Uh....where is your cable hook-up?". Ha! After numerous neighbors kept calling wanting the same thing, they finally came out and laid the cables.

Anyway, I remember a time when some "friends" invited Hubby and I to lunch at a local restaurant on a busy weekend. We had a nice meal enjoying some chit-chat and then it was apparently down to business.

"We'd like to talk to you about a great business opportunity."

"Uh... Um [throat clearing]. Huh?" said while slowly starting to get the deer in the headlights look.

"Yes, my wife and I have had great success selling SCAM-WEI and we would love for you to join us."

"Uh, we're not really much into selling stuff" said while trying to hold back the I can't believe I fell for this look.

"It's a great opportunity. Our products are extremely popular and we've
  • put our kids through school
  • paid off our house
  • taken luxury vacations
  • been inducted into the cult
all because of SCAM-WEI."

You get the picture. This went on for awhile until we finally made our excuses and left. At least they waited until the meal was in progress and nearly over to start their spiel, unlike that commercial where the couple has been invited for dinner and the host and hostess pull out the flipchart as they arrive. OMG! I think I would have thought of some catastrophe to get me out of there fast.

I had this boss that was such a manipulator that after having a chat with him, you would leave to go about your business with a smile on your face and with a pile of additional work. Later you realized you'd been told you're full of shit and to go to Hell and somehow you volunteered for more work. WTF?

If you've been trapped into something that you'd like to share, please do so. I'd love to hear I'm not the only sucker out there.

Smiley would never fall for a scam.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! That totally sucks! But I sure love that kitty pic!

Hilarious!

ReformingGeek said...

@QuirkyLoon - Thanks! That cat fit right in with a Monday post ;-)

It's me said...

Actually, I'm the person who volunteers to go on the "sit through our sales spiel and get a free weekend stay" because saying NO is very easy for me. When shopping for cars, husband figures out what he wants then I go in and let them know what we'll pay. If they don't agree to it, I simply walk. It doesn't bother me a bit!!! So the long answer is No, I don't fall for scams. :)

ReformingGeek said...

@MeadowLark - I'll take you next time we need to buy a car ;-) Also, I like to think I'm learning as I get older.

Deb said...

I used to make excuses, be polite, etc. Not any more. If people are rude enough to pull that crap on me, I figure that gives me license to say "WTF is wrong with you?" in response. I have told the Jehovah's to get the f**k off my property, as well as all the Save the Whales/Hug a Tree people that have come knocking. This year has been Year of the Dog: I just open the inside door and let the dog do her Cujo/Tasmanian devil thing from behind the outer door that's half glass. It has worked every time and I no longer have to be face-to-face with the idiots. Other than that, I am really a sweet person.

Chat Blanc said...

I'm totally diggin' Fluffy's attitude! :) I've gotten suckered by stuff like that too. It drives me crazy.

ReformingGeek said...

@Deb - Maybe I could borrow the dog. ;-) I'm learning to politely give folks a chance to accept my "no thanks" but it will go downhill from there if they don't.

@Chat Blanc - Go Fluffy!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I had this work associate once that invited me to a 'business proposition' as if we were going to talk entrepernial something in the line of work I was doing. Had me bring the wife and we had to get all dressed up even. Went to this high rise apartment it was at downtown (I hate going downtown) and then get there and find out he suckered us into an Amway presentation. Amway!!!! We walked out the door in front of everyone while they were speaking.

You know though...all the 'screw me', 'hooking up' and 'sucker' references in this post...I think you're going to get some other Google search hits! ha ha ha

ReformingGeek said...

@VE - Yep. We lost all respect for that couple that asked us to lunch under false pretenses. As for the hits, thanks for the warning. Ha!


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"