Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hump Day Howdy!

Sometimes life around the ReformingGeek household just isn't all that exciting. I know you're surprised and think I spend my days shopping for shoes, hunting wild animals, playing nosey neighbor and/or supervising trash receptacles, but some days I think my dharma is cat slave. Seriously, open door, close door, repeat. I guess I should bloom where I'm planted because my next life might be as a house cat (more likely a cockroach).

I know I spend a lot of time blogging and sometimes I know I'm still asleep reading blogs because I find that I've made a silly comment or commented on the wrong post. Oops..... I can always use the brain fog excuse or maybe I need the 12-step program.

So today I find myself creating a short post. Ha! I know you don't believe it.

No really. Here goes.

Have you ever had a conversation with someone who never really lets you talk?

I met a friend for lunch recently and this is about how it went. I used to work with this friend and she's always been this way and I do like her but when I start thinking about how things usually go when we meet up, I laugh at myself.

RG (me, of course)
FTF (Fast-Talking-Friend)

RG: Hey, how are you?
FTF: I'm good. Remember my brother. Well he married so-and-so and last week they..........blah blah yada yada....What's up with you?
RG: Well, I'm....
FTF: And remember uncle Bob? He crashed his motorcycle..blah blah yada yada....So are you working now?
RG: I'm still teaching at ......
FTF: Oh yeah. My daughter and her friend are planning this trip....blah blah yada yada.....
RG: Sounds nice so how's......
FTF: Did I tell you so-and-so left the company? Yeah, she........blah blah yada yada......So you really don't make much money teaching, do you?
RG: Um.....
FTF: Anyway, so my other daughter.......

For an hour.

We part company. I think I got screwed and I'm wanting to snarkily shout out "Was it good for you?!?!"

Fortunately, I have other friends and they are not like that!

In other news, I actually had a GREAT experience talking to a customer service representative. This person was efficient, SPOKE ENGLISH (not Engrish), and took care of my request in record time. GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY, THERE IS A GOD!

Coming up in February, I am scheduled to work a temporary part-time job to supplement that obviously inadequate income my friend described. More on that later.

Finally, to fully honor hump day, I leave you with a humpback whale showing off up in Alaska next to our cruise ship. *These photos were taken in September 2007 on one of last Inside Passage cruises of the season. If you want to see the whale in all it's glory, click on the photo and page down.





Happy Hump Day! How about a vote for the whale antics over at humor-blogs. Click here to vote and thanks!

*Photos property of ReformingGeek. Please do not use without permission.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, a friend of mine used to be really bad at conversation hogging. Luckily he's got much better, as practically everyone he knew began ducking his calls.

Anonymous said...

I had to WORK with one of those and when I'd be telling her to "answer the phone when it rings" she would lean towards me, eyes bearing in on my brain, and proceed to tell me of her grown daughters, brothers, people she used to know, etc., then I would get jumped on by the boss for not doing MY work.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I thought we were the only household who said, "Great Googly Moogly!" It's good to see there are more people in the world who use this underrated term. LOL!!

BTW, THANK YOU for the award! I'm sorry I've been such a looser and haven't acknowledged it until now. I suck.

My MIL is just like your friend...she talks, talks, talks, and NEVER let's anyone get a word in! I'm glad she lives far away.

ReformingGeek said...

@Chris - People are so weird sometimes.

@Dana - What a lousy co-worker. What a pain!

@Random Chick - I had to look up goggly moogly since I don't think I'd ever typed it out!

No problem. Enjoy your award. Sometimes I wish my relatives lived far, far way....

Ash said...

I guess I'm lucky, I don't have a long winded friend like that...

or maybe I'm the long winded friend.

Nah.

Off to vote.

Elizabeth said...

Ugh, I work with someone like that. I just smile and nod, smile and nod. It seems to work well.
I like the whale pics. I've never seen one from above like that(I get seasick), just from the beach.

ReformingGeek said...

@Eudea-Mamia - Thanks for the vote! I always feel beat-up after I'm with this friend.

@Elizabeth - Thanks. Those creatures are awesome!

Bee said...

I had a friend like that. I got tired of listening one time and hung up the phone. We haven't spoken since. I know it sound mean but... ;o)

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

I happen to have a friend who does this nervous type giggle every time she or I say something.
For example:
Me: So how is your dad doing? I heard he was in the hospital again.
Her: Oh he's not the greatest..hahhahahahahahahaha
Me: I'm sorry to hear that.
Her: Yeah, well, he has never taken care of himself so now he's paying for it...hahahahahahahaha

or the conversation could be:
Me: Do you know if it's supposed to snow tomorrow?
Her: I think so...hahahahahahahahaha

It kind of drives me bananas. While I atleast get to get a word in, as hard as this might be to believe, not everything I say is funny!

ReformingGeek said...

@Bee - Sometimes you just have to though.

@Tracy - Poor thing must have had a problem with her nerves. I used to work with a girl like that. It was very annoying. I kept wondering if I missed the joke.

Jean Knee said...

My MIL took a course on how to make good party chit chat-I'm not kidding
So she asks you these well thought out questions and doesn't listen to your answer. then when she feels she has you hooked she starts up this inane jabbering and never stops

on and on and on.............

Marvel Goose said...

My mom is that way. I can have a thirty minute conversation where I only grunt, agree, and make the occasional interjection to make her think I'm listening.

Marvel Goose said...

Smiley Love!

ReformingGeek said...

@Jean - And I thought I needed charm school. I think I'll keep my MIL. She doesn't do that.

@Marvel - Thanks. I get that way with my mom but she can tell that I've lost interest. At least she has the good sense to end the conversation. BTW, I'm not registered with Wordpress so I can't leave comments on your blog/ ;-(


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"