Sunday, April 5, 2009

It's RACSAN weekend!

It's race weekend around here. That's right. NASCAR. Um....I think I got it backwards in my title.

Oops.

I'm hearing a loud roar from my house which is about 7 miles from the racetrack (as the crow flies) and I can't believe these little cars make so much noise!


Uh, ReformingGeek?

Yes?

Those are toy cars and some are still in their packages.

Oh. Ok. I will take my *wine and go play with them.

Fast forward a few minutes.

Ok. That was fun [hiccup] but I need to finish this post so let's get back to the races.

I hear that the best part is the crashes. I also hear that there are some people that never actually enter the stadium. They just wander from party to party. Attending races must be a very dangerous hobby because all I hear about is the "red necks". What are they doing that makes their necks red?

Uh, ReformingGeek?

Yes?

You're not getting it. "Redneck" is a slang term. Wiki defines a redneck as:

An uneducated, unsophisticated, or poor white person, typically used to describe residents of the rural Southern US. A redneck can be a man or a woman.
From the red bandana worn around the neck by West Virginia coal miners during the Red Neck War (1921).

Hum....so the entire state of Oklahoma comes down to Texas for the event?

Apparently.

The worst part of race weekend for me is the traffic. The traffic does not stop on Monday morning. That's when all the RV's leave and head home or to the next race. Didn't anyone explain that they don't have to leave the racetrack in a caravan?

In other news, the grim reaper has been a bit too busy lately. Hubby and I lost a neighbor. My friend lost a cousin. Recently, another blogger passed away. Bizarre things happen every day.
It seems to me that lots of folks go to their final destination in the spring time. What's up with that? Could it be that the grim reaper union allows many of the reapers to hibernate and and get caught up on their quotas when they wake up? SHEESH!

Warning: ReformingGeek is entering sappy mode.

Life is short. Do something fun. Spend time with your friends and family. Don't work too much. Live in the moment (not in the past or future).

Sigh.

Enough of that. Enjoy your weekend! May you not be down on your hands and knees repairing tile in your mother's bathroom.

Photo: istockphoto.com

*Honest, Officer. I wasn't drinking and writing.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

What are you drinking so early in the morning for?

I know how you feel about the fans leaving. I used to volunteer in Daytona for the races. Vendor stuff. Those people are absolutely crazy! I love Nascar though so it's all good.

I am sorry about all of the recent losses. Taht sucks nards when it happens to one, but so many in the same time frame sucks

"Life is too short to be taken so seriously"

Deb said...

NASCAR is big up here in Maine and I have noticed a lot of red necks too. Coincidence? I think now when you consider the fact that NASCAR is an acronym for Non-Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks.

Chris said...

I was down on my hands and knees mopping up the combination of rain water, wee, and toilet paper thanks to an open window in the toilet during a storm.

My life sucked today.

ReformingGeek said...

@dizzblnd - What? Wine for breakfast isn't OK?

@Deb - I think it's big everywhere and yes there are rednecks everywhere.

@Chris - EEEEWWW! Sorry about that. The rest of the day will be better.

Anonymous said...

In the prophetic words of Hannah Montana

Life's what you make it, so let's make it rock!


Gah! Did I really quote Hannah Montana!

That might just be enough to start me drinkin'!

*shudders*

Where's the Hannah Montana race car? You know they have one....don't they?

(Hey Reffie wanna go halvies on a race car? We could paint it with Hannah Montana and tap into the tween market. It's untouched right now! We could get RICH!)

heh heh

Anonymous said...

Ah jeesh. When I married Joe, the first thing he did was turn his cap backwards and declare that he was "now a redneck". Now I read the definition of redneck and realize he wasn't complimenting me.....

Once, when at a stop light in Indianapolis, In during a Formula One race, I heard what could only be described as a jet dive bombing my car.

I DOVE TO THE FLOOR!!! I can only assume that he cars around me thought I was diving for a lost cigarette.....redneck? OK. I now understand the definition.

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Boy oh boy, do I ever need me some of that whine, er, I mean, wine just about NOW.

Suzanne said...

I'm just going to stick with vodka today, grill some chicken and enjoy the day with my kids. They all make sure they are home for a Sunday meal, every Sunday!

ReformingGeek said...

@Quirky - Yeah. Let's buy a racecar. I'm in!

@Dana - I keep waiting for the sonic boom.

@Mary - Uh oh. I hope everything is OK.

@Sue - Absolutely. Enjoy!

Bee said...

Life is too short. I'm feeling kind of melancholy today too.

Marissa said...

NASCAR season means Husband's butt print on the couch will be that much deeper when he finally gets up to help me around the house.

United Studies said...

I was almost there....I was on my hands and knees painting the wall behind a toilet. ;-)

ReformingGeek said...

@Bee - Yeah. It was that kind of weekend.

@Marissa - Yikes. Get a hot poker!

@Jacki - That's not fun!

Unknown said...

LOVE Nascar...been to a race it was so thrilling...
sorry to hear of all the losses...sad news

Skye said...

Sorry to hear of all the losses around you!

As for NASCAR, well, I can imagine that the best two parts of it would be the crashes as well as the parties. Personally, I think I'd stick with the tail-gate parties as well. I've heard they're a blast :D

Bunk Strutts said...

Tilt-shift photography amazes me.

ReformingGeek said...

@Georgie - Thank you. I think I would enjoy going to the race if I got to sit in one of the suites/boxes.

@Skye - Thanks. So I've heard.

@Bunk - Most photography amazes me. I am such an amateur.


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"