Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Theft of an Era and Some Eggs

Today, my blog name is Rantings of a Never-to-be-Reformed Evil Easter Egg Thief Geek.

That won't be a permanent change as that name is much too long and on those days when the brain fogs hits (No, it's not EVERY DAY), it will be impossible to manage!

Remember that we have an airstrip as part of our neighborhood. Back in the day before our neighborhood was slapped in the face with a lawsuit, we used to have a big Easter celebration. The Easter Bunny would buzz the neighborhood and drop eggs on an open field. Beforehand, neighbors would put candy in the eggs, tape them very tightly, and put them in a big burlap bag ready for the bombing runs. After the Easter Bunny made several passes and spread eggs almost everywhere except the open field, the Easter Bunny would land and greet pint-size or adult-size kiddos*. Just about anybody and everybody was welcome at this celebration although it was primarily the neighbors and their extended families.

*Note that the bunny wasn't the pilot. Some other sucker had to be blamed for the missed targets.

It was fun. Some of the other pilots would have their planes out and give rides to the pint-size or adult-size kiddos (see the pattern here). It was a great day to be outside and enjoy spring!

So what happened?

I think it's called PROGRESS and the trend that very few people actually take responsibility for their actions and are always looking for someone to blame. And for the lawyers that support them:


Remember this is rant day and thank you Chris Wood for the photo I stole from your recent post.

So back to progress. A large tract of land near the airstrip was sold. A new development moved in just south of our neighborhood. As a gesture of good will, we had a party to introduce them to their new neighbors. We offered plane rides for the kiddies or anyone who wanted one. We had a great time.


ReformingGeek is in the photo and apologizes for her choice of clothing. I'm a geek, remember! Hint: She's not wearing black.

Back to the story. Unfortunately, an unsupervised young child was playing with a golf cart and was injured. You'd think if anything happened, it would involve an airplane but, no, that's not what happened. There were no incidents involving an airplane or any apparatus that you might possibly think could injure a child.

Did I say unsupervised child?

Long story short. The child was not seriously injured. The parents made a very big deal out of it and pursued legal action. Everything has been settled but there are no more parties involving "outsiders".

Neighbors continue to enjoy Easter with their families. Sunday, once the weather cleared, we had planes buzzing around and cars were parked all over the place. It looked like another day in paradise!

Hubby and I kicked back for a relaxing day. We ventured out in the afternoon and as we passed a house down the road, I noticed Easter eggs all over the front yard. The family was in the back. I could not get Hubby to pull over so I could do a quick grab of all those eggs! Heehee. ReformingGeek's evil twin makes an appearance. Can't you just imagine the looks on their faces when it came time to start that Easter egg hunt?

"ReformingGeek stole my eggs. I will cast a spell upon her."


Photo credits: Piper Cub with a ReformingGeek sandwich: Steve Johnson, Unhappy child: istockphoto.com

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I just don't get what our society has become. It is a crying shame.

I wish I lived near you, what you described sounds like my kind of fun! I wouldn't even sue if I tripped over my own 2 feet and hurt myself.

The little girl at the end of your post is adorable! I love the caption.. ok enough rambling.,.. I gotta get ready for work now sigh

Queen-Size funny bone said...

oh I soooo would of done it. what a kodak moment.
better yet candid camera.

Marissa said...

Thou art evil - and Funny! So the world is balanced once again. Hey, is that your plane?? Me want ride.

Jen's Farmily said...

I love when people blame others for their sucky parenting!!

I love the pouty girl picture!! Too funny!

Nooter said...

oh you should poop on those bad parents lawn, thatll show them!

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

See, this is yet another reason why I hate people! They keep giving me reasons!
I had a similiar thing happen, althoug no planes or golfcarts were involved, but there was an unsupervised child who went and ruined EVERTHING for me. Well, the child and their parents.
See, I've been going to the same family doctor for ten years. TEN YEARS! And every time I've gone for an appointment I've had a kid in tow. I'm a stay at home mom, that means I don't have a babysitter or a day-care on speed dial. I.Am.It.
So, last time I went for my appointment, the receptionist, who thought she was way more important that she really was, wasn't going to let me see the doctor because I had brought the weemonkey with me! After throwing a fit and maybe threatening to tear her eyeballs out and sticking them where the sun didn't shine (I whispered this to her through gritted teeth of course so that there were no witnesses) I was allowed to see the doctor.
It turns out that another patient had brought her three kids, all under the age of four, with her to her appointment, and while waiting in the exam room, she read a Good Housekeeping magazine while her three minions got into the sharps container and started trying to play darts with each other using used needles.
I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE PARENTS!
But there's always that one group of people who always have to ruin it for the rest of us.

I would have totally stolen all of those eggs too!

Bee (the one who muses) said...

Ah yes the American way litigation style. People suck. I don't understand why it is not the parents responsibility to watch over their children. We should start suing them when they get hurt. Be like "your child jumping out of a moving golf cart has caused me emotional distress. now pay up!"

Anonymous said...

This is why the world will be a much better place when the Zombie Apocalypse happens.

I'm looking forward to it.

heh heh

ReformingGeek said...

@dizzblnd - Thanks. It was already fun!

@Queen-size - I wish I had!

@Marissa - Come on over next time you're in the area. That's not our plane but we have one that is kept close by.

@J&J - Thanks. Absolutely. People are nuts.

@Nooter - Good idea!

@Tracy - Good point. You wish the people that caused the problem could be penalized.

@Bee - Yep. It works great, huh?

@Quirky - Bring on the Zombies!

Stickman said...

Why must everyone sue everyone over every little issue. Can't we all just get along? Or, can't all those types of people just die? That would be even better.

Suzanne said...

If a group of people are having too much fun, someone is bound to ruin it.

Machinist said...

Wonderful story and great pictures. Thank you! Like a dog, you need to let the evil side out once in a while or you get a mess on the rug.

massage momma said...

People suck! There's always one that spoils everything for everyone else. Where you live sounds absolutely incredible. And how awesome to have your own plane.

The pictures are great!

ReformingGeek said...

@Stickman - Where there's money involved....

@Sue - Seems that way.

@Machinist - Thanks. I have to have my dose of evil occasionally.

@massage momma - Thanks. It is nice out here. It's a country feel in the "city".

Ed & Jeanne said...

The hex that little girl put on you is called 'teenage years'. You're time is gonna come when they hit teenage years and make the entire neighborhoods life hell...

Chris said...

Hold on ... you offered plane rides to welcome in the new neighbours?! Does anyone think that is AWESOME? I love it. I'm lucky to get a "Hi, My name is ..." from my new neighbours.

ReformingGeek said...

@VE - Ah...that's why I don't have kids.

@Chris - Yeah. We are nice that way.

Elizabeth said...

I thought when I started reading that it was going to end with fact that you could no longer have the plane drop eggs. I glad you guys can still do that. It sounds like so much fun!! (does anyone ever get hit by a falling egg??)

Deb said...

Wait a minute. YOU are in that picture with the plane? Please tell me that is not you on the far left - does that person have SWIM FINS on their feet???? Geek = OK. Person Who Wears Swim Fins on an Air Strip = Dani's psych ward.

ReformingGeek said...

@Elizabeth - That is what happened. The droppings stopped. ;-(

@Deb - Nope. That's not me. I'm the sandwich between her and the other lady. Swim fins? I didn't realize her feet looked that big.


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"