Monday, August 10, 2009

Looking for the Mother Ship

Hubby is NOT writing this post so I survived the weekend at the lodge in the middle of nowhere. Seriously, it IS in the middle of nowhere. It's close to Stephenville, TX, where, if you remember, there was some *mysterious activity up there in the sky about a year and a half ago. When we were outside at night, my eyes were searching the sky and I was looking for the Mother Ship weather balloons.


(click to enlarge)

Saturday night, some local astronomers brought out big fancy telescopes. I didn't see the Mother Ship weather balloons but I did see a beautiful big orange ball. That's right. We like to thank Houston and the prevailing seasonal southerly winds for the pollution that makes the moon orange when it's close to the horizon. While looking through the telescope at the orange blob of cheese, I saw the craters and then I saw something really amazing.

What, ReformingGeek, what?

A couple of guys where climbing out of one of the craters. Wow!

Really?

No, of course not. You folks sure are so gullible. SHEESH!

The excitement of the weekend besides delicious food in the dining room was my little walk on the nature trail that had more than its share of gravel. I have discovered the purpose of all that cushy stuff on our backsides. That's right. Cushioning. When you slip on the loose rocks going downhill.....er...when the effects of gravity and loose rock cause you to slip....er.... when gravel snakes reach up and grab you, you fall on your cushy buns and with the help of your hands, you injure your pride and not much more. Nobody saw me fall and the vultures stopped circling once I got back on my feet and wiped away my tears sweat.

But enough of that. I did hear that someone almost wrecked their ATV on those loose rock/gravel-covered hills on the not-so-lame nature trail.

I didn't even see a rattlesnake, water moccasin, bobcat, coyote or even a chupacabra. Sheesh! What a wasted weekend.

Saturday, we noticed that an ambulance was assigned to the lodge for the day. That's not surprising. With lots of kiddies, distracted parents, and folks that are old enough to be grandparents around, STUFF happens. Fortunately, I don't think the paramedics got to do much besides stay in their air-conditioned vehicle and make occasional trips inside the buildings for water in/water out breaks! I did see them casting a jealous eye on the swimming pool a few times.

I spent most of the day at the pool and my face is an advertisement for Mary Kay. Yes. Pink. I also have some pink interfering with my runner's tan. I'm starting to look like a zebra. At least Hubby and I match.

Anywhatsit, a fun time was had by all.

Now for the news:
OK. I FINALLY did it. I signed up for a triathlon. It's in October and the swimming will be in an indoor pool. I THINK that's a good thing. We'll see. Since there will be a 12 mile bike ride, I guess I really do need to get a bicycle.

I'm insane.

*This is just one of many news articles. Personally, I don't think it was the aliens although that would be a good place to practice maneuvers. You can go for miles and not see a soul. I think this area would also be a good place for a zombie staging area.

Photo credit: weather balloons: stephenvillelights.com

25 comments:

Hit 40 said...

Busy camping and now a triathlon!! Impressive. I picked my oldest boy up from band camp. His cabin had an interesting aroma after a week of 12 boys sleeping in it.

I didn't see you write that you got gravel burn on your hands? Nice. Good landing.

Unknown said...

I am so glad the vultures didnt peck your eyes out-phew that coulda been bad...

That is soooo awesome about the triathalon...you go girl!

SplitRock Dozer said...

You must have had a crummy Chupacabra scout. No camping trip is complete without a Chupacabra sighting.

Anonymous said...

No chupacabra! Dang, that suck! Ha!

AND good for you with the triathlong (misspelling intended) thingy!

You'll be running from zombies in no time! hee hee

Queen-Size funny bone said...

wow you are ambitious. start swimming, stroke.

Anonymous said...

Wait, wasn't I already here?

I need another Diet Dr. Pepper!

*smile*

Chaotically Calm said...

Normally when I take a spill I have an audience. In your case no one but the vultures saw and I'm sure they aren't making convo with any live people. That works in your favor in terms of embarassment...of course we all know now so maybe not.

Congrats about signing up for the triathalon...I also agree that you might want to get a bike. It's just a thought.

Oh and sorry about the chupacabras I can tell it was a serious let down.

Nooter said...

when you do something silly and noone sees it your supposed to be grateful and then forget it ever happened, not write about it to the world! thats why noone will ever hear about the time i was scared about a noise that turned out to be a cricket.

ReformingGeek said...

@Hit 40 - Yeah. My kind of camping. The kind with hot water and a soft bed! I love it.

@georgie - Thanks and me. too. I kind of like my eyes.

@SplitRock - I was holding out for the mother ship!

@Quirky - Thanks and I feel like a zombie today!

@Queen-size - Thanks and those "strokes" are hard work sometimes!

@Quirky - Wait! Haven't you been here before. Now I'm going to have to get a DDP.

@Chaotic - My pride was very hurt. A bike? That might help!

ReformingGeek said...

@Nooter - Scared of a cricket? I don't blame you. Crickets are evil!

Anonymous said...

Mother Ship. I like the sound of that. I wonder why there's no musical group named that? How about having that tattooed on your backside, then, the next time you go "butt down" on the rocks, the EMTs will have something extra to laugh about.

Marvin D Wilson said...

"Since there will be a 12 mile bike ride, I guess I really do need to get a bicycle."

Ah huh - yeah. Might be a good idea. ;)

The Old Silly

Deb said...

Triathlon? Ooo! What fun, x 3 no less! I can't even do a halfathlon without being halfathed about it.
Good luck! (That last sentence was sincere, believe it or not).

ReformingGeek said...

@dana - I wouldn't the paramedics to get distracted by any tattoos!

@Marvin - Yep. Good idea!

@Deb - Thanks and fun? I hope so. They encourage participants to wear costumes. I'm not sure when we are supposed to put it on? I can't see swimming in it. ;-)

Unknown said...

What a wonderful weekend. I had a customer call me the other day and after I got done with him he says. "There are no UFO's I used to be in the military and all my buddies would ask me, so now when I talk to people, I just tell them what I just told you."

Funny how I never asked him that.. it usually doesn't come up when they talk about digging.....

I am so excited that you entered the triathlon. I know you will do very well. I can't wait to hear all about it when you are done.

The Constant Complainer said...

RG, congrats on surviving your camping adventure. And holy sh*t, a triathlon. That's amazing. I'm very impressed.

Bee said...

So there were old people? How many did you try to trip? What was your success rate?

Kandi said...

I love that chart! I always wanted to see a UFO! I think that it would be very cool!

ReformingGeek said...

@Dizzblnd - Thanks for the vote of confidence. I need it. As for your caller, that's really strange. Maybe he's an alien.

@Constant - Thanks. I'm starting to get nervous.

@Bee - I was too busy trying not to trip over my own two feet (or step on rusty screws barefooted).

@otin - Me, too. I'm going to keep looking.

United Studies said...

Yes, you are insane for participating in a triathlon!!

And that first picture cracks me up. Totally how the military is.

Kirsten said...

I triathalon!! Did the Mother Ship come down and switch you with a regular human??

honeypiehorse said...

Good luck on the triathalon, that's very bold.

ReformingGeek said...

@Jacki - Yes. Insanity runs in the family.

@Kirsten - I asked them for a tour but they took Hubby instead.

@honeypiehorse - Thank you!

Anonymous said...

You aren't supposed to tell people you fell. You come in bleeding, grab a gatorade and strike a pose. Triathalon? I saw one on TV once, but watching it made me tired. I'm impressed.

ReformingGeek said...

@Jamie - The ones they show on TV are exhausting. This will be a much shorter distance!


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"