Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Ghost Jumps Over the Moon

Honor your mother and father at least one day of the year.

Uh...Reforming Geek, you're supposed to do that every day.

Ok. I think I can do that.

On Mother's Day, I cooked for my mom and my mother-in-law and the rest of the immediate families. No, I didn't roast them and I didn't catch the house on fire.

We had southern comfort food: chicken, green beans, and mashed potatoes. Yum! Dessert was lemon cookies and praline cookies. There was a huge platter full of cookies. I blinked and only a few were left. What the heck happened? My guests waddled to their cars. That's when my world went upside down.

There are things you should never know about your mom.

Hubby was backing my mom's large vehicle up our long driveway. I was following, walking with my mom. I made a comment to my mom about the headlights of her car being in our faces and she said she showed someone her backside the last time she had headlights in her face. Um....what was that you just said, Mom?

Who are you and what did you do with my innocent mental image of my angelic mom?

Mom says her friend was in the parking lot after a bingo session and turned on her headlights and "blinded" my mom. She got a bit miffed and turned around and dropped'm showing a couple of large moons and some hail damage. Mom also admits she had forgotten her friend's mother and brother were also in the car......oops. You have to understand my mom is tall and not thin. I can't imagine being mooned by my mom.

In other mooning news, this guy must be very proud of his backside.....


but those swim trunks gotta go. Um....I mean that I don't like them not that he needs to further disrobe.


Speaking of mothers, here's a story I'm working on about my mom's mother:

It's a hot day in the summer of 1909. Thirteen-year-old Irene Boone is tired. She has been traveling all day with her family and they have finally arrived at their new house in Kentucky. She's been feeling strange all day. Maybe it's the hormone change Mom recently discussed with her that sounded a bit frightening. She was not really looking forward to that passage into womanhood. Maybe it was just the feeling of being unsettled, having moved so much in her young life.

Irene went into the house to look around, hoping to find a place to rest and enjoy some peace and quiet from her younger rowdy siblings. As she turned the corner into the kitchen, the room grew cold and she felt a slight breeze. Then she saw it. It was white, just like she'd always heard, and it was flying across the room making an eerie noise. She screamed. Her parents came to find her. She had just seen a ghost, a real live (or not so live) ghost and she was terrified.

All that was left at that house was a cloud of dust as the family sped away in their truck, starting their search for a new place to call home.

I changed a few of the details but she really did believe that she saw a ghost to the day she died.

I've never seen a ghost. Maybe with the help or drugs or alcohol, I might. After my dad passed away, my mom claimed things kept moving around in the house. She thought my dad's ghost might be having some fun. Hubby has deja vu occasionally. I've had that happen once or twice and it was very weird, like I was in some other dimension.

Any ghosts or moonings you want to share?

Photo credits: Ghostly moon: Scott M. Duncan on flickr.com, Creative Commons license (see sidebar), psychedelic moons, Elfeda on flickr.com, Creative Commons license (see sidebar).

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Well I guess there's more to the Momster than you ever dreamed, eh RG? LOL

Back in my rock and roll days this one band I was in had a chick lead singer - a real hottie with a glorious derriere - walking the streets with her was always a trip. She'd get catcalls from guys driving by & whistling at her for attention. Never failed, she'd turn round, drop trough and moon 'em. Needless to say, I was always quite willing to accompany her when she asked if anyone would walk with her to the store or somewhere. A duty thang, you understand. (wink)

She never let me have some though - told the guys in the bnd we had to keep our relationship on a "professional level." Hmph - professional my ass.

Marissa said...

LOL - "hail damage"! As for ghost stories, let's just say I can somewhat relate to "The Ghost Whisperer".

SplitRock Dozer said...

I have deja vu more than I'd like. I dont care for the sensation. I cant recall seeing a ghost but I was pretty young when Michael Jackson's Thriller came out and it has scarred me for life.

ReformingGeek said...

@Marvin - Apparently. Mom surprises me sometimes. I like your story. ;-)

@Marissa - Cool!

@SplitRock Dozer - Yeah. That is scary.

Bee said...

Wow. It’s hard to believe parents have a life. ;o)

I currently look like a ghost because I haven’t been in the sun much this year, does that count?

Jean Knee said...

I have never seen a ghost but I do have a fair amount of deja vous.

and I have a hail damaged buttox

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

I've heard ghostlike voices...does that count?

Anonymous said...

Thanks - I didn't need an image of your mom mooning someone. I would say "this early in the day", but really, like never!

OTOH, that's better than thinking about...

Never mind, we won't go there.

United Studies said...

My mom wanted pizza for her dinner, so that was easy. Just called Pizza Hut for delivery. :-)

I do not want anyone to see my buttocks right now...they are getting jiggly with cellulite. UGH! I gotta start working out with squats.

Anonymous said...

Hey that was a fun story about your Gran. Ghosts, eh?

I'm still waiting to see if my Mom will push a penny around for me a la "Ghost" style.

heh heh

ReformingGeek said...

@Bee - Sure. We will call Ghostly Bee.

@Jean - Haven't we been here before?

@Mary - Yes, that counts.

@zyada - Yeah. It's scary.

@Jacki - My mom's a picky eater, just like me.

@Quirky - Thanks. Maybe she saw a Zombie? Let me know how the penny think works, k?

The Constant Complainer said...

Wow, I enjoyed the mooning story. LOL. It sounds like you had a nice day with your mom!

Suzanne said...

I saw my very first mooner during a family vacation. I was the only one that saw it. We were traveling on the freeway, it happened so fast it took me awhile to figure out I just saw a butt, I was only about 12.

ReformingGeek said...

@Constant - Thanks!

@Sue - How funny!

Lori said...

We totally dig this blog!

Check out ours at

snarknbeans.blogspot.com

-Lo and Li

Nooter said...

mmmm... chicken, green beans, and mashed potatoes; lemon cookies and praline cookies....

ooooohhh... im so hungry now...

ReformingGeek said...

@Lori - Thanks for stopping by. I will check out snarknbeans.

@Nooter - Step away from the table, Nooter!

Mama-Face said...

ha. A mother mooner. I need to embarrass my kids that way. That would be awesome.

I believe in ghosts but I am not aware of ever seeing one.

Ed & Jeanne said...

How did you get the cookie into the lemons?

Chris said...

Every time I go to write a comment on your blog - I get distracted by the Zuccini Award - haha - makes me smile every time.

ReformingGeek said...

@mama-face - Sounds like a great idea!

@VE - That's classified. If I tell you, I'll have to shoot you.

@Chris - Yeah. It's very funny!


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"