Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Flyin' Yogini and Other Such Nonsense


yogini - female practitioner of yoga

There once was a small yogini called YoginiGeek who attended a workshop to learn more about yoga so she can bring calmness and serenity to Perspective Cat who tends to be somewhat well...er...psycho. At the workshop, YoginiGeek was assigned to a group of larger yoginis to act out a story. This group was tasked with acting drunk and silly (not a stretch for YoginiGeek) to demonstrate what can happen to people when they are not in control.

One of the other yoginis on the team was obviously better at acting drunk and silly than YoginiGeek and was very energetic with her interpretation. The excitement of being "on stage" and being a star may have been too much for YoginiGeek's co-star as she made a large swooping movement with her arm, causing YoginiGeek to break into sudden flight and land on the floor several feet away.

The crowd grew quiet and YoginiGeek was soon surrounded by concerned faces. YoginiGeek starts to laugh uncontrollably. The crowd relaxes. YoginiGeek is on the floor but is breathing and all limbs are intact.

The crowd sighs, yawns in boredom, and awaits the next group's antics.

Now for a little rant:

Don't you just love it when you've taken your car in for service and you get a call the next day urging you to answer "excellent" to the survey that will be given to you later because this is how service advisers are evaluated?

I don't love it.

Earlier this week, "Elle" calls and leaves a message for Hubby asking if the service was "excellent" and to call her back if it wasn't. "Elle" sounds like a pre-teen girl that should probably be chasing the Jonas Brothers.

Being the silly geek I am, I had to tease Hubby about his phone message.
So Hubby, did "Elle" service you OK?

What services did she actually perform?

Why was I not invited?

Wasn't your service advisor a guy? Was his service good? Is he cute?

Give me a break. I run away screaming from surveys. I had enough of that in the corporate world. We would take the survey and then have to form little "teams" to "fix" the problems that came up on the survey. What an EFFING waste of time! And a survey being part of your performance evaluation and being urged to answer "excellent"? Uh, no. Sorry. I don't play that game.

Rant over.

Not quite.

The weather outside is warm. It's spring break around here and everyone who hasn't driven a car all winter is now out driving their car as I'm trying to commute home. On a positive note, at least Real Cat is worn out and ready to sleep when I get home. He's been spending these nice days outside, looking for rodents to torture and hiding from the Zombies.

ReformingGeek thanks Amy Groark from flickr.com Creative Commons for the Cat in Cobra Pose photo.
Licensed under Attribution-NonCommercial No Derivative Works 2.0 Generic

10 comments:

United Studies said...

Another waste of time in the corporate world...team building activities where you have to do like outdoor stuff and help each other up ropes and walls. Stupid!

Anonymous said...

You're worried about zombies too?

It's been weighing heavy on my mind lately.

heh heh

LOVE the cat yogini.

Truly a talented cat!

And whatchoo talkini' 'bout Reffie?

You mean those surveys don't help? And here I spend ALL day on the phone answering those surveys.

I should have known!

AAaaaaaggggghhhhhh!

LOL

Anonymous said...

So you hate surveys? But would you fill one out if your Cat gave one to you? And what sort of questions would it have?:

1) Do I sufficiently cover my litter so as not to offend?
2) Is my purring maintained at a comfortable noise level?
3) Any stray hair issues I should be aware of?

** I think your Cat would want to know how to improve and would rely on your answers.

ReformingGeek said...

@Jacki - Or bending rebar

@Quirky - Yeah. I check under the bed every night.

@Marissa - I tried those questions and the cat responded "meow" every time. Oh well.

Ed & Jeanne said...

I'm always impressed when a cat does Downward Dog...

Meg said...

So do you hate surveys worst than telemarketers?

Which is worse, the surveys with multiple choice or yes/no.

On a scale of 1 to 10, what would you rate your hatred of surveys?

ReformingGeek said...

@VE - Their version is called cat stretch. ;-)

@Prefers - Um....wait a minute. Are you surveying me? I'm developing an eye twitch.

Jean Knee said...

um, ouch?

My dalmatian needs some yoga too. He is a little high strung

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to try Yoga. Except I am WAY unflexible and it would just be really, really ugly. Of course if yoga is all about knocking fellow yoginis around, I could probably do that.

Surveys- I hate them also. We had to do one for our di$h network installer and he was all 'I'll just have my girlfriend call so they don't bug you' and I was all 'that's cool dawg' b/c he did a good job. But then the survey people called us anyway so maybe his girlfriend was mad at him that day.

And I totally DID NOT realize you weren't in my reader until tonight. So you're there now. And there's no going back... :)

ReformingGeek said...

@Jean Knee - At least I was having too much fun to feel any real pain!

Doggie yoga is out there and it scares me.

@Cubicle - I'm excited to be in your reader! I doubt you are as inflexible as you think. I was very inflexible when I started, especially in my back. I can say that now I can do considerably more than when I started and I wish I had started in my twenties instead of my thirties.


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"