Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Musical Delusions of the Blog Blog Sisterhood


Quirky, over at Musings of a Quirkyloon, is one of my favorite bloggers and she made my day when she called me a "blog sister" and gave me this award.

WOW! I've never had a sister.

I'm tickled pink....er.....or maybe that's just the glow from the celebratory wine.




Quirky and her family are musically inclined. Quirky doesn't sing in the shower. She sings in the grocery store. She is true to her name. She recently posted about a kazoo and her son is a budding rock guitarist. This got me thinking about my childhood attempts at making melodies with musical instruments.


I think I know why my mom is crazy. I drove her there. That's right. It was me and my delusional dreams of musical greatness and my constant attempts either to fit in or stand out, depending on my mood. I was a kid and kids are all crazy or brain-damaged. Just ask Bill Cosby.

First, it was a drum set. On the other hand, what kid doesn't want a set of drums to pound? I think my attempts at a good snare roll lasted about 5 minutes. I could pound that bass pedal though. I think I remember my drum set disappearing one day and Mom said the dog ate it. Hum......

When I was 11, I thought I could play the trombone. I soon learned that I was too much of a wimpy, scrawny, little thing and I couldn't haul it around or make much of a sound out of it.

If I was trying to stand out, I succeeded. I was seriously teased for this crazy escapade.


News flash:
I'm still a wimp. Hubby has to do the grunt work.....like putting down toilet seats and plunging these ornery porcelain monstrosities. He also has to haul cement mix, operate huge power tools, crawl around under airplanes, and other such fun. You get the picture.

I'm good for getting you a screwdriver and maybe a wrench on a good day but I can grout and caulk (will grout for wine).

Back to the music...

I finally settled on a flute. That is, I gave in and tried to fit it with the other girls. (I'm still trying). Then I had to have a nicer flute....and a piccolo. I still have them all and they are collecting dust in the deep innards of the bedroom closet.



But after playing flute awhile, for some reason, I thought I needed to play the cornet. Huh? I had a crush on guy that played the cornet but this makes absolutely no sense to my adult (yes, I'm an adult) mind. I flashed my eyes at him and asked him for lessons. I think I received lessons in kissing (don't tell Mom). I'm not sure the instrument I had every worked right. I bought it from Sears and the valves were always sticky.



I also have a tambourine. I have no idea why. I must have wanted to be Tracy Partridge or something. I know that I always wanted to have that red hair!

Do I play any of these things now?

Um....no. I tried to get out the flute many years ago. It was depressing.
It sounded like the heavy breathing on those strange telephone calls.


I wish I could sing. Got karaoke? I can do that after a few beers and with a head cold.

As for the award, I am supposed to give it away to other blog sisters. So Ladies, grab it if you'd like and you have my permission to proudly display it on your awards shelf.

Tracy Partridge photo courtesy of http://www.cmongethappy.com/. Instrument pile photo purchased from istockphoto. All other photos courtesy of Wikipedia.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I got karaoke, when there's NOT karaoke around!

Ha!

Funny Reffie!

Thanks for the linky love!

Boy you really went all out on the musical merry-go-round, eh? I think it was very wise of you to settle on the tambourine! Very wise! :)

(Didn't we all want to be Tracy? Cuz back then we were way too young to be considered Laurie, but look at her she went on to become a laywer! heh heh)

You frawk woman!

Ed & Jeanne said...

and this one time in band camp...

(we'll see if you get it...)

ReformingGeek said...

@Quirky - Thanks. Yeah. Laurie was too old. Then the Brady kids showed up.

@VE - Yeah. I had this friend in band camp.....

Elizabeth said...

When I was in Jr. High I wanted to play the trumpet, but the band teacher said only boys play the trumpet, girls can play the cornet. So I played the stinking cornet. Then I bacame a baton twirler, that showed him!

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

I have my musical regrets too but mine go in a different direction.
I couldn't wait to get to 6th grade because that was when you were allowed to be in the school band.
I remember the day my mom took me to the music store to pick out my instrument. I wanted something cool, like a flute or a sax but my mom made me get a clarinet. I hated that thing. But I continued to be a band nerd through high school but only because I had a higher goal. When I hit 10th grade I became a majorette. No more instruments and itchy uniforms for me. I traded those in on a sparkly outfit, go go boots, and batons. I rocked the batons.
I still feel that Majorettes are way more talented than cheerleaders, but that's just my opinion.
And I'm totally taking the award. I'm sure I deserve it.

ReformingGeek said...

@Elizabeth - I tried twirling once. I think I gave myself a black eye!

@Tracy - You definitely deserve it. I was always impressed with the twirlers. We had a flag core and rifle twirlers in our band.

Unknown said...

I love quirky, she's great isn't she ?

Unknown said...

Congrats on the award! When I was in 6th grade I went from trumpet.. my mom always told me I was full of hot air, to a flute. I really enjoyed it.
But then I discovered stupid boys and that's all it took to drop THAT flute ;)

ReformingGeek said...

@Dani - Yes. She's a sweeite!

@dizzblnd - LOL; I had a crush on a Senior who was first chair flute.....and he played basketball.

Jean Knee said...

hmmm I only played (barely) the alto saxophone in high school

I did flag corps ( Barely) too
I still have my dorky flag somewhere

Bee (the one who muses) said...

The hubs just asked if I wanted to play the rusty trombone later tonight, does that count?

Anonymous said...

Karaoke is always primo entertainment! And thank god for Guitar Hero so we can all be Rock Gods now. (If I could sing, I wish I was one of the Pussycat Dolls, but at my age, I'd be Raggedy Cougar.)

ReformingGeek said...

@Jean - Yeah, flags!

@Bee - Yes, that counts!

@Marissa - I think Hubby wants Guitar Hero.

Anonymous said...

I totally can Rock the tambourine.
No. Really. It can be done.
:)

Anonymous said...

antibody aditya dave forefront vkids cilip treatments fundamentals banks semester cabinet
lolikneri havaqatsu


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"