Sunday, March 1, 2009

Race Day - Second Half

I'm feeling proud. Saturday, I did another half marathon (that's 13.1 miles). If you want to hear about my first half marathon, click here.

I know. I'm crazy but that runner's high from finishing sure felt good!

Although I felt every step after mile 4, I would have to say it was a good race because I accomplished the following:
  • I showed up at the starting line with temperatures hovering around freezing and gusty winds from the north.
  • I started running when the gun went off (well, actually it takes a few minutes before you actually get to run).
  • I didn't fall down or get run over by other runners.
  • I didn't stop to puke, pee, or poop during the race.
  • I didn't push or cut-off any runners with "Marines" or "Army Grunt" on their shirt or any runners male or female that outweighed me by 100 pounds.
  • My cajones didn't freeze off.
Uh, ReformingGeek, you don't have those.

I don't?

Um, no. You have female parts.

Oh, OK as I sigh heavily waking up Real Cat.
  • My itty-bitties and other female parts, hands, feet, and all other extremities were still in place. I didn't take my hat off until mile 11. The gloves never came off.
  • I finished upright, with a faster time than my first half. Unbelievable. No really.
  • I bypassed exhausted drunk runners at the beer stand and avoided the horrendously long food line at the food tent. In other words, I went directly to my car.
Uh, ReformingGeek, don't you have more to say about your car?

Do I have to tell them what happened last year?

Um, yes.

Oh, OK as I sigh heavily waking up Real Cat.

I found my car. Last year I got confused about which garage I had parked in so I "lost" my car. It didn't help that they pulled the gate down on this garage's entrance so it was really very confusing. Afterall, I was tired and frozen from the race (including the brain). I was really very embarrassed about this because I was under the delusion that these things don't happen to me.

The post-race exhaustion and the inability to easily bend over and pick something up off the floor hit after lunch Saturday. For those of you that don't know, Fort Worth has this thing about using bricks as road pavement. What effing idiot thought this would be a good idea? O U C H! Miles 7 - 10 were NOT FUNNY and my over 40 body is feeling every single effing brick.

OK. Rant over.

A friend of mine brought me this yummy dessert Friday and I saved most of it for post-race enjoyment. Hubby and Perspective Cat started drooling so I shared (with Hubby that is). The cat that eats blog contest entries does not deserve a body-and-soul-soothing chocolate yummy!


The cake was good. I will definitely be hydrating my friend (and myself) with margaritas soon.

Finally, I really did finish the race. Here's my medal and look at Singing Love Dog trying to get in on the act. Next thing I know, this critter will be going after my "hearts" blog award. Sheesh! Can't leave him alone for a minute.


Think warm!

ReformingGeek realizes she is talking to and answering herself and will resume her meds at some point...or not.

20 comments:

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Congratulations that chocolate cake looks great.

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

Congratulations!
I still don't understand why you did it, but I certainly do think you should be proud of yourself!
Are there really runners who stop to get drunk?
One last question, you said that you didn't have to stop to "something, something, or poop".
Does running marathons usually make you poop?

Elizabeth said...

Wow, Congratulations! I can hardly run 10 feet before I'm ready to pass out. How long did you train?

ReformingGeek said...

@Queen-Size - Thanks. The cake was pretty good, even if I didn't make it myself!

@Tracy - Thanks. Cowtown serves beer at the finishing line starting at 9:00 am so these runners were done with their race. There is also a food tent at the finishing line.

As for the poop, some people get a really nervous stomach and sometimes the gels that you "eat" while you are running give you the....well.....runs (sorry).

@Elizabeth - Thanks. I run regularly 6 - 8 miles several times a week and then I increase my distance over a 2 - 3 month period. I'd like to do a full marathon but that may have to wait until this tired old body heals some.

Deb said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

You mean if I trained like you I could run up and down the stairs with the laundry basket and NOT be winded? No way!

ReformingGeek said...

@Deb - Um....sure. We'll start with your icy driveway. Please check LL Bean for the latest in crampons.

Marvel Goose said...

Is this why my dog has to poop when we go on a two mile jaunt?

Anonymous said...

13 miles - Awesome! I totally picture you in Linda Hamilton form in Terminator 2. And while you were out performing feats beyond normal human abilities, I had pizza and ice cream. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Wow Reffie...you rawk!

That is so awesome! Thirteen miles! I can't even drive 13 miles without getting tired and losing my breath!

Good for ye GF! Good for ye!

And you so totally deserved that cake.

ReformingGeek said...

@Marvel - Maybe so. ;-)

@Marissa - Thanks. Yum....pizza!

@quirky - Thanks. At least when you drive, you get their faster! ;-)

Kirsten said...

Congratulations! I don't know how you do it!

Anonymous said...

run forest run!

next time you should try evasive action then you wont have to run thirteen miles to get away from whoevers chasing you.

Jean Knee said...

we have so much in common----I too start running when the gun goes off

ReformingGeek said...

@Kirsten - Thanks!

@Nooter - OK. Next time I'll just hide.

@Jean - Absolutely.

Bee (the one who muses) said...

Awesome! I wouldn't be able to run that many miles if La Migra* was chasing me.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say congratulations on your accomplishment. That is very impressive. I also enjoyed the "Linda Hamiltom from T2" comment by one of the other readers. Are you retiring now or is another event in order?

Meg said...

That's awesome!!

I don't run, but as an Irish step dancer, our big season is approaching and I'm always trying to figure out how to keep everything in place while bouncing up and down.

Suzanne said...

Congrats on not pooping, puking or peeing and congrats on finishing!

ReformingGeek said...

@Constant - Thank you. I wish I felt like Linda Hamilton from T2" She was great!

Also, I'd like to do a full marathon someday.

@Prefers - Thanks. I love Irish dancing. Good luck with the bouncing.

@Sue - Thanks.

United Studies said...

Congrats! As someone who can't run....I've been told I leap like a deer...I think it is great when people run marathons.


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"