Friday, December 19, 2008

Cooking with Virtual Zucchini


I have to show off this award. It was one of the first awards I saw on a friend's blog. I had no idea what it was or what my friend did to earn it. I thought it had to be something that only guys would understand or maybe it was some cult you had to join. That is, something that required a secret handshake and a wink-wink-nudge-nudge and guys wearing weird hats.

I think I just called blogging a cult. Hum.....

Anyway, I found Crotchety's blog and realized the coveted zucchini was awarded for winning the photo caption contest. That's right. He does much more than yell at cars on his blog. Da Old Man usually does this contest on Wednesdays and announces the winners on Friday. If you have not checked it out, please do so. The pictures are hilarious and the readers submit some very entertaining captions.

Since I also claim to be somewhat of a foodie, being presented with zucchini tempts me to try new recipes. According to Merriam-Webster, zucchini is a smooth cylindrical usually dark green summer squash. Sounds good to me. So I went to the kitchen and got busy with the zucchini.

First, the stove. I tried boiling them with some butter. The smoke alarm went off. Next, I mixed up a wonderful Cajun-seasoned batter and fried them. Again, the smoke alarm went off and I had to put out the fire with baking soda. Finally, I gave the oven a try. I added some tomatoes and threw in some yellow squash. Once again, the smoke alarm went off and the oven popped the circuit breaker.

DAMN! What is going wrong here? I really can cook heat up leftovers. I even repeated the above and got the same results. So now I'm insane?

Hubby came home and surveyed the damage. Actually, he just kept saying WTF? I was getting quite confused. I gave him my sweetest smile, showed some cleavage, and flashed him my most innocent big-eyed "look" and said "I'm sorry. I'm just trying to cook Crotchety's zucchini."

"His WHAT?" said Hubby.

"No, no that. I got the Zucchini Award and I wanted to try new recipes."

"Um, Sweetie, did you take your meds? You do realize that it's a VIRTUAL award, don't you?"

"Oh."

Sigh.

Considering Christmas is closing in on us, I think I may have lost a few marbles. After having some rum balls for dessert, I'm feeling much better now.

A vote over at Humor-Blogs.com might also make me feel better.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am ROFL! Sounds like you have a stove/oven that's possessed!

And it's definitely out to get you...

Either that or the zucchini is possessed! I mean really how did those zucchinies stay put like that (in the award pic)?

It's the work of SATAN!

hee hee

ReformingGeek said...

@quirkyloon - Yeah, I was really having to wrestle with those suckers. They just wouldn't stay still while I was trying to slice them up.

Anonymous said...

I hate zucchini.. is it even food.. i'd rather eat steak LOL ;)

ReformingGeek said...

@Crowscious - How funny! Hubby agrees with you on the zucchini or any of its relatives.

Da Old Man said...

Zucchini is awesome. Easy to cook, too. Just saute it, then saute a couple onions, add some tomatoes, cook them down, and serve over pasta. That may be my favorite. Or slice it horizontally, brush with olive oil, and grill it.
I would advise getting your zucchini from the grocery as the ones in the award are not so fresh.

ReformingGeek said...

@Da Old Man - Ah, not fresh huh? Maybe that's my problem. Yum. Zucchini over pasta. Sounds good to me. I'm not sure what Hubby will be eating that night though.

Unknown said...

Congrats on that award I have to admit i have never tried cooking one of my awards...have some more rum balls

ReformingGeek said...

@georgie - Thanks. I'm planning on it.


"1.00s, 1.50s, 1.75s for the short arms. If you know what I'm talking about, you're probably old, too."

"Boomer brain fog: What was the last, middle, and first part of what you just said to me?"